Diocese of Pittsburgh eliminates fees for marriage annulments
(04-02-2015, 11:45 PM)Poche Wrote:
(04-02-2015, 11:38 PM)PrairieMom Wrote:
(04-02-2015, 07:50 AM)GangGreen Wrote: One would think they'd make it cheaper to get married in church since tons of people these days skip the church ceremony.

That's only because the Church won't marry them on the beach, or in a corn field, or wherever it is that people seem to like to get married these days...

If people can spend $20,000 on a party, surely they can cough up $200 to get married in the Church.
By this are you saying that the diocesan stipend for a marriage is $200.00?

Surely the meaning was that if they spend $200 on an annulment, they can then get (re-)married in the Church, which they could not do with only a civil divorce.
(04-01-2015, 01:51 PM)J Michael Wrote: I agree with SaintSebastian.  At the risk of being flamed here, I'd just add that as far as marriage/divorce/remarriage goes the Roman Catholic Church just plain got it wrong and the Orthodox Church got it right. :O :O  (I'll duck now and probably keep silent on this matter henceforth  :).)

? Wow, man.. Didn't expect to hear something like that from you. I'm with the Church, of course, which gets its doctrine on Holy Matrimony straight from Jesus.

But with regard to annulments -- which, for people reading over our shoulders, isn't a "Catholic divorce," but the Church's finding that there was no valid marriage to begin with -- I see no reason to make getting one any more expensive than is necessary. They're far too expensive and time-consuming as things are right now.

Johnny Midnight Wrote:A lot of trads seem upset at the number of annulments granted today compared to the good old days but I spoke to a Canon Lawyer about this and he said the reason there are more annulments might be because there are many more invalid marriages due to crummy catechesis and marriage prep.  Makes sense to me.

Makes sense to me, too. I'd bet that maybe only 50% of the Catholics out there have a clue as to what the Church teaches about marriage, thanks to the crappy catechesis.

(04-02-2015, 01:57 AM)Geremia Wrote:
(04-01-2015, 05:10 PM)Dirigible Wrote:
(04-01-2015, 05:05 PM)Geremia Wrote:
(04-01-2015, 04:40 PM)J Michael Wrote:
(04-01-2015, 03:31 PM)Dirigible Wrote: It's the first of April. Maybe that's relevant.

Let's hope not.
Isn't April Fools Day an anti-Catholic "holiday" anyways?

What's anti-Catholic about it?
It's certainly something no Catholic should participate in, since it involves lying (even if they're just jocular).

Geremia, there's absolutely nothing in an April's Fool's Joke that makes it into a lie. For it to be a lie, the final cause of the act would have to be to instill an ongoing delusion in a person. Merely reporting obviously fake news isn't that, the final cause of that is to make the reader recognise it as a joke, and to poke fun at the newsreporting enterprise.

In fact in this way you can recognize a bad April's Fool's Joke if it fails to do this, and people think the news is serious.

If its a sin to tell an April's Fool Joke, then its a sin to read Dante. Both are works of fictions, meant to be taken as such.
(04-02-2015, 07:50 AM)GangGreen Wrote: One would think they'd make it cheaper to get married in church since tons of people these days skip the church ceremony.

That's only because the Church won't marry them on the beach, or in a corn field, or wherever it is that people seem to like to get married these days...

If people can spend $20,000 on a party, surely they can cough up $200 to get married in the Church.

Cost me $1000 (i believe). $200 for the church, and like $800 for a four person choir (who was the regular choir for the church, but i was able to get to sing some chant). Surely wasn't cheap. Standard was 600 regardless. 200 to the church, 200 for the cantor, 200 for the organist.

And in spite of that fee, i couldn't even get ad orientem even though the priest wanted to do it.
(04-04-2015, 06:34 AM)GangGreen Wrote:

Cost me $1000 (i believe). $200 for the church, and like $800 for a four person choir (who was the regular choir for the church, but i was able to get to sing some chant). Surely wasn't cheap. Standard was 600 regardless. 200 to the church, 200 for the cantor, 200 for the organist.

And in spite of that fee, i couldn't even get ad orientem even though the priest wanted to do it.

$200 is the norm where I live, last time I checked (it's been awhile, I've been married 10 years). My fee when I play piano at weddings and events is $100, most soloists/cantors make $100. This is NO, which would apply to the majority of Catholics. So round it up to $500, to include marriage license, etc, of which only $200-300 is *required*.

People belly ache all the time that they don't get married because it "costs too much". It costs $200, and if you're in hardship most churches will reduce or waive the fee. Even if it costs $1000, it's a drop in the hat compared to the tens of thousands of dollars many people spend on the party. When they talk about "getting married" costing too much, they're talking about the party that they think they need to have to make the marriage count.

When I had an annulment, we're talking 13 years ago now just about, the requested fee was  $800. Again, it would be waived if I asked (I didn't, I scraped it together). The divorce cost waaaaay more than that, and I made too much to qualify for Legal Aid so I had to pay it, plus the money to make my ex go away.

The costs associated where you live might vary from those I quote above, but the point is that the cost of a church wedding, and the cost of an annulment, are quite small when compared to the cost of the party and the divorce. I appreciate what the Diocese is doing, but in the big picture the money isn't the issue, or at least it shouldn't be. People just use it as an excuse to do what they want.
(04-04-2015, 02:48 AM)Vox Clamantis Wrote:
(04-01-2015, 01:51 PM)J Michael Wrote: I agree with SaintSebastian.  At the risk of being flamed here, I'd just add that as far as marriage/divorce/remarriage goes the Roman Catholic Church just plain got it wrong and the Orthodox Church got it right. :O :O  (I'll duck now and probably keep silent on this matter henceforth  :).)

? Wow, man.. Didn't expect to hear something like that from you. I'm with the Church, of course, which gets its doctrine on Holy Matrimony straight from Jesus.

Why not?  I'm with the Church, too... :)