Schism in the Maltese Catholic Church?
Other fora and social networks are suggesting that the Church in Malta is heading towards a schism. This is implied because of this website:

http://old-roman-catholic-church-malta.w...graphy.htm

Does anyone know anything about this?

And is that guy a 'real' bishop, albeit illicitly ordained, or is he a fake person (or a deluded one for that matter)?
Looks like he's an Old Catholic. They and Rome have been in schism since Vatican I.
Schism from what, the modern church which is already dubious in regards to its authority or from the pre-Vatican II Church?
That sounds like a typical vagant bishop in a "Church" with the primary purpose of giving their clergy fancy titles. Those are a dime a dozen.
Note that he was ordained priest a day after he was ordained deacon and became a bishop a mere four years later, and another two years later he became "Metropolitan-Archbishop and Primate" (of what?).
As a rule of thumb, the fancier the titles the less serious the Church. He is not a real (Vatican-I-Schism) Old Catholic. Here is a complete list of those, and while I completely disagree with their theology, their bishops generally don't heap silly titles upon themselves.
Here is a story about one of this "Church"'s bishops posing as a Catholic priest in London and then claiming that the Catholic Church's warning that he is a fraud is "akin to stoning".
(04-05-2015, 03:16 PM)Freudentaumel Wrote: That sounds like a typical vagant bishop in a "Church" with the primary purpose of giving their clergy fancy titles. Those are a dime a dozen.
Note that he was ordained priest a day after he was ordained deacon and became a bishop a mere four years later, and another two years later he became "Metropolitan-Archbishop and Primate" (of what?).
As a rule of thumb, the fancier the titles the less serious the Church. He is not a real (Vatican-I-Schism) Old Catholic. Here is a complete list of those, and while I completely disagree with their theology, their bishops generally don't heap silly titles upon themselves.
Here is a story about one of this "Church"'s bishops posing as a Catholic priest in London and then claiming that the Catholic Church's warning that he is a fraud is "akin to stoning".

The problem is that he seems validly ordained and consecrated.  :(
From what I understand, the "Old Roman Catholic Church" split from the Old Catholic Church in the early 20th century. They were essentially an English national church that wanted more autonomy from the Union of Utrecht, which they saw as becoming too centralized. They spread to North America and other places. In other words, they're like Old Catholic Anglicans (and more like traditional Anglicans, with only male clergy, but they can be married, more conservative values and liturgy than most Old Catholics, etc.).

You can tell this is what this guy is from because his succession includes the founder:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arnold_Mathew

It does look like they are trying to lure in traditional Catholics in this case by promoting the Tridentine Mass.
(04-06-2015, 12:08 PM)SaintSebastian Wrote: From what I understand, the "Old Roman Catholic Church" split from the Old Catholic Church in the early 20th century. They were essentially an English national church that wanted more autonomy from the Union of Utrecht, which they saw as becoming too centralized. They spread to North America and other places. In other words, they're like Old Catholic Anglicans (and more like traditional Anglicans, with only male clergy, but they can be married, more conservative values and liturgy than most Old Catholics, etc.).

You can tell this is what this guy is from because his succession includes the founder:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arnold_Mathew

It does look like they are trying to lure in traditional Catholics in this case by promoting the Tridentine Mass.

Oh, that is so confusing! Can't we just copyright the name "Catholic", and not let any one else use it?
(04-06-2015, 11:29 PM)PrairieMom Wrote: Oh, that is so confusing! Can't we just copyright the name "Catholic", and not let any one else use it?

Other groups have always tried to use it going back to the beginning. They almost always have to use qualifiers though (like in this case, the adjective "Old" is added). I always liked the following quote of St. Augustine in the context of discussing signs of the Catholic Church's authenticity. I have found it to always be true:

St. Augustine Wrote:And so, lastly, does the name itself of Catholic, which, not without reason, amid so many heresies, the Church has thus retained; so that, though all heretics wish to be called Catholics, yet when a stranger asks where the Catholic Church meets, no heretic will venture to point to his own chapel or house.
http://www.newadvent.org/fathers/1405.htm

(04-07-2015, 11:31 AM)SaintSebastian Wrote:
(04-06-2015, 11:29 PM)PrairieMom Wrote: Oh, that is so confusing! Can't we just copyright the name "Catholic", and not let any one else use it?

Other groups have always tried to use it going back to the beginning. They almost always have to use qualifiers though (like in this case, the adjective "Old" is added). I always liked the following quote of St. Augustine in the context of discussing signs of the Catholic Church's authenticity. I have found it to always be true:

St. Augustine Wrote:And so, lastly, does the name itself of Catholic, which, not without reason, amid so many heresies, the Church has thus retained; so that, though all heretics wish to be called Catholics, yet when a stranger asks where the Catholic Church meets, no heretic will venture to point to his own chapel or house.
http://www.newadvent.org/fathers/1405.htm

If a Christian group did not call itself both catholic and orthodox, it would be confessing to being invalid (assuming it follows the Nicene creed).
(04-04-2015, 12:15 PM)Pro Tridentina (Malta) Wrote: Other fora and social networks are suggesting that the Church in Malta is heading towards a schism. This is implied because of this website:

http://old-roman-catholic-church-malta.w...graphy.htm

Does anyone know anything about this?

And is that guy a 'real' bishop, albeit illicitly ordained, or is he a fake person (or a deluded one for that matter)?
So, what is this guy doing in Malta?