new papal bull
(04-14-2015, 07:16 AM)Renatus Frater Wrote: If you hate us so much why do you hang around here?

I did not say "hate"; I said such things bothered me.

And I hang around here because do not think one has to be always critical of the current Pope to be a traditionalist, as fortunately many people on here demonstrate with much greater charity than I normally do.
(04-14-2015, 03:35 PM)ecclesiastes Wrote: I did not say "hate"; I said such things bothered me.

And I hang around here because do not think one has to be always critical of the current Pope to be a traditionalist, as fortunately many people on here demonstrate with much greater charity than I normally do.

I definitely agree that that we Catholics shouldn't bash the pope. Sometimes its good to share about things that bother us in what he's saying, and to confirm what we think with fellow minds, but he still the head of the Church and I can actually imagine worse than Pope Francis.
I have now read the bull. The importance of Vatican II to the Pope is highlighted in the beginning ("The Church feels a great need to keep this event alive."). Based on what I had heard and read (here and elsewhere) about the bull, I had expected it to invoke Vatican II much more frequently, but it doesn't get invoked very often at all--apart from the introduction (§4) where John XXIII is cited on topic (about the importance of mercy), there is no mention of it in the rest of the document. John Paul II is cited in one paragraph (§11).

The remainder of the document sounds pretty orthodox to me (with a nice Marian ending). It is probably good reading for someone who is too scrupulous.

A few parts I liked:

Quote:The Lord Jesus shows us the steps of the pilgrimage to attain our goal: “Judge not, and you will not be judged; condemn not, and you will not be condemned; forgive, and you will be forgiven; give, and it will be given to you; good measure, pressed down, shaken together, running over, will be put into your lap. For the measure you give will be the measure you get back” (Lk 6:37-38). The Lord asks us above all not to judge and not to condemn. If anyone wishes to avoid God’s judgement, he should not make himself the judge of his brother or sister. Human beings, whenever they judge, look no farther than the surface, whereas the Father looks into the very depths of the soul. How much harm words do when they are motivated by feelings of jealousy and envy! To speak ill of others puts them in a bad light, undermines their reputation and leaves them prey to the whims of gossip. To refrain from judgement and condemnation means, in a positive sense, to know how to accept the good in every person and to spare him any suffering that might be caused by our partial judgment and our presumption to know everything about him. But this is still not sufficient to express mercy. Jesus asks us also to forgive  and to give. To be instruments of mercy because it was we who first received mercy from God. To be generous with others, knowing that God showers his goodness upon us with immense generosity.

Quote:We cannot escape the Lord’s words to us, and they will serve as the criteria upon which we will be judged: whether we have fed the hungry and given drink to the thirsty, welcomed the stranger and clothed the naked, or spent time with the sick and those in prison (cf. Mt 25:31-45). Moreover, we will be asked if we have helped others to escape the doubt that causes them to fall into despair and which is often a source of loneliness; if we have helped to overcome the ignorance in which millions of people live, especially children deprived of the necessary means to free them from the bonds of poverty; if we have been close to the lonely and afflicted; if we have forgiven those who have offended us and have rejected all forms of anger and hate that lead to violence; if we have had the kind of patience God shows, who is so patient with us; and if we have commended our brothers and sisters to the Lord in prayer. In each of these “little ones,” Christ himself is present. His flesh becomes visible in the flesh of the tortured, the crushed, the scourged, the malnourished, and the exiled … to be acknowledged, touched, and cared for by us. Let us not forget the words of Saint John of the Cross: “as we prepare to leave this life, we will be judged on the basis of love.”

Quote:The same invitation is extended to those who either perpetrate or participate in corruption. This festering wound is a grave sin that cries out to heaven for vengeance, because it threatens the very foundations of personal and social life. Corruption prevents us from looking to the future with hope, because its tyrannical greed shatters the plans of the weak and tramples upon the poorest of the poor. It is an evil that embeds itself into the actions of everyday life and spreads, causing great public scandal. Corruption is a sinful hardening of the heart that replaces God with the illusion that money is a form of power. It is a work of darkness, fed by suspicion and intrigue. Corruptio optimi pessima, Saint Gregory the Great said with good reason, affirming that no one can think himself immune from this temptation. If we want to drive it out from personal and social life, we need prudence, vigilance, loyalty, transparency, together with the courage to denounce any wrongdoing. If it is not combated openly, sooner or later everyone will become an accomplice to it, and it will end up destroying our very existence.

This is the opportune moment to change our lives! This is the time to allow our hearts to be touched! When confronted with evil deeds, even in the face of serious crimes, it is the time to listen to the cry of innocent people who are deprived of their property, their dignity, their feelings, and even their very lives. To stick to the way of evil will only leave one deluded and sad. True life is something entirely different. God never tires of reaching out to us. He is always ready to listen, as I am too, along with my brother bishops and priests. All one needs to do is to accept the invitation to conversion and submit oneself to justice during this special time of mercy offered by the Church.

I agree with formerbuddhist (with a slight emphasis on the first part of the sentence):

(04-12-2015, 04:18 PM)formerbuddhist Wrote: Overall it seems like it's a nice Papal Bull sans the adulation of the glorious new Pentecost that was the Second Vatican Council.
I like the idea of the Missionaries of Mercy going around encouraging and hearing confessions. Of course, like anything, it will only be as effective as the people doing it.
Quote from: Poche on Yesterday at 11:39 pm
(somehow I don't think Williamson will be shown much mercy).

He hasn't shown any kind of feeling the need for any kind of repentence. 

You mean like those impenitent sodomites, atheists and remarried folks?

I mean everybody. The devil attacks different people by different means. 
Poche, I meant indulgences particularly attached to this jubilee year.

When no specific information is given then the general conditions apply.