University lecturer walks off with Evangilist's books (bibles?)
Isn't St. Francis of Assisi a bit of a holy fool?
(04-15-2015, 10:32 AM)Renatus Frater Wrote: Isn't St. Francis of Assisi a bit of a holy fool?

The article I linked also links to Benedict Joseph Labre.
(04-13-2015, 11:46 PM)Dirigible Wrote: Isn't that theft? Shouldn't the law have something to say about it?

That's what I was thinking.  :crazy:

But hey, the lecturer said "I teach logic motherfVcker!" with the applaud of the crowd, so everything is A-OKAY.

On my campus there was no holy fool, just two Mormons who walked around handing out pamphlets. Then on another campus the only holy fool I encountered was some guy preaching on a milk carton, but that was only once.
(04-15-2015, 09:43 AM)Bourbon Apocalypse Wrote:
(04-14-2015, 08:46 PM)Dirigible Wrote:
(04-14-2015, 07:25 PM)Renatus Frater Wrote: These evangelicals are quite annoying, maybe just as much as atheists.
Around here they stand in the Cathedral's or the Monastery's square yelling or singing their songs.

I wonder who is converted by this sort of preaching. I mean, God bless them if a person starts fixing his or her life because of this, but I don't know, a city needs order. Maybe in Russia the figure of the holy fool is good, but then again, you have got to be holy.
IDK, what you people think?
Speaking of holy "fools" today is teh feast of St Benedict Labre;

St. Benedict Joseph Labre
Saint Benedict Joseph Labre, born on March 26, 1748 in northern France, exemplifies a very particular kind of holiness found in both East and West. He was a wanderer who prayed ceaselessly, a pilgrim walking from one holy place to another, a fool for Christ.

As a young man, Benedict Joseph made a number of unsuccessful attempts at monastic life. He tried his vocation with the Trappists, with the Cistercians, and with the Carthusians, but, in every instance, after a few months or a few weeks, he was rejected as being unsuitable. Benedict Joseph was endearing in his own way. He was a gentle young man, tortured by scruples of conscience, and sensitive. He was completely honest, humble, candid, and open. He was cheerful. But, for all of that, he was a misfit. There was an oddness about him. He was drawn irresistibly to monastic life and, at the same time, rejected from every monastery in which he tried his vocation.

When he was twenty-two years old, Benedict Joseph left the Abbey of Sept-Fons, still wearing his Cistercian novice's habit, with a rosary around his neck, and a knapsack on his back. His only possessions, apart from the clothes he wore, were his two precious rosaries, a New Testament, a Breviary for reciting the Divine Office, and The Imitation of Christ.

Walking all the way to Rome, begging as he went, he became a consecrated vagabond, a pilgrim vowed to ceaseless prayer. He walked from one shrine to another, visiting the Holy House of Loreto, Assisi, Naples, and Bari in Italy. He made his way to Einsiedeln in Switzerland, to Paray-le-Monial in France, and to Compostela in Spain. He lived on whatever people would give him, and readily shared what little he had. He observed silence, praying constantly. He was mocked, abused, and treated like a madman. Cruel children pelted him with garbage and stones.

After 1774, apart from an annual pilgrimage to the Madonna at the Holy House of Loreto, Benedict Joseph remained in the Eternal City. At night he would sleep in the Colosseum. During the day he would seek out those churches where the Forty Hours Devotion was being held, so as to be able to adore the Blessed Sacrament exposed. So striking was his love for the Blessed Sacrament that the Romans came to call him "the beggar of Perpetual Adoration." He was graced with a profound recollection in church. More than once he was observed in ecstasy, ravished into the love of God and shining with an unearthly light. It was on one of these occasions that the artist Antonio Cavallucci painted the beautiful portrait of Saint Benedict Joseph that allows us, even today, to see his handsome face illumined by union with God.

On April 16, 1783 Benedict Joseph collapsed on the steps of the Church of Santa Maria dei Monti. It was the Wednesday of Holy Week. He was carried to a neighbouring house where he received the last sacraments, and died. He was thirty-five years old. No sooner did news of his death reach the streets than a huge throng gathered crying, "È morto il santo! -- The saint is dead!" Benedict Joseph was buried beneath the altar in a side chapel of Santa Maria dei Monti. I have gone there to pray, and knelt before the life-sized sculpture in marble that depicts him in the repose of a holy death.

Benedict Joseph Labre was dead but a few months when more than 136 miraculous healings were attributed to his intercession. Present in Rome at the time of his funeral was an American Protestant clergyman from Boston, The Reverend John Thayer. The experience of Benedict Joseph's holy death converted Thayer. He was received into the Catholic Church, ordained to the priesthood, and died in Limerick, Ireland in 1815.

http://www.catholicculture.org/culture/l...2015-04-16

If he is in Heaven then who is the real fool?

What I want to know is, what is it about Russia that's made it produce so many holy fools?

The holy fool character appeals to me. Does anybody know if there is anything comparable to that in Catholicism?