With the Rosary we will win
(04-23-2015, 08:09 PM)Crusading Philologist Wrote: This reminds me of that story recently about emails containing alleged messages from the Virgin Mary being sent around in Ivory Coast, though I believe those were condemned. I wonder if anyone has written much about Marian piety in West Africa.
Wherever there are Catholics are there is the Holy Virgin.
(04-23-2015, 08:09 PM)Crusading Philologist Wrote: This reminds me of that story recently about emails containing alleged messages from the Virgin Mary being sent around in Ivory Coast, though I believe those were condemned. I wonder if anyone has written much about Marian piety in West Africa.

Not sure about the authenticity, but it has been reported that the Blessed Virgin appeared in the sky in Ivory Coast several years ago as well as a statue of Her that it is claimed changed positions.  According to the reports, the person who claims to have witnessed the latter was a Muslim.

There are Youtube videos on these alleged phenomena.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAVtogIMK9g&feature=youtu.be
And we can't forget that there was supposedly an apparition of Our a Lady of Sorrows during the Rwandan genocide.

On a side note there's a good book out about a Greek Orthodox monk Cosmas of Grigiriou ( spelling?) who started a bunch of missions in Zaire in the 20th century. There's an article about him and his mission on the pravoslavie site. What's interesting is how it would seem that Africans as a whole have a very keen awareness of the reality of the unseen world. Of course there are superstitions afoot but nonetheless, there is much that is genuine as well.