What Catholic England would look like today
If the English Reformation had never happened our cathedrals would blaze with colour, our monasteries would house the homeless and our nation would be less gloomy

http://www.catholicherald.co.uk/issues/a...like-today
I think the point regarding the sense of the community the Catholic Church pre-English Reformation versus rugged Protestant individualism post-English Reformation is well taken in the article. When you rebel against the authority of the Church, you have confusion, narcissism, and chaos. The rampant "Me-isms" and moral relativism that is so strong in western secular society is the fruit of the Protestant Reformation, and it's no surprise that Christianity has nearly faded away in Catholic England. We have a lot of work to do; it makes me sad to see the moral decay in the U.S., but in my ancestral homeland of England as well.
More human, more normal, more merry -- and more holy.
While the Reformation was tragic I'd dare to say it happened for a reason, and rather than look back wistfully at a past that in Gods eyes was not meant to be, we ought to encourage English Catholics to dig deeply into their own English patrimony ( Sarum, Baldwin of Forde, Cuthbert, Guthlac of Crowland, Rood Screens,Bede, simple homey stone churches, Columba of Iona etc.) along with whatever can be rehabilitated of Anglicanism as filtered through the Ordinariates and build on the ruins of both mainstream Roman Catholicism post Vatican II and the tragedy of the Reformation.

If anything the via media of classical Anglo Catholicism is a useful heurmeneutic tool today for those of us living in the wasteland of modern Catholicism. Somehow we have to take the best of the old with the new and move forward trying to hasten this Catholic renassissance.
I :love: rood screens.
(04-25-2015, 06:31 PM)formerbuddhist Wrote: While the Reformation was tragic I'd dare to say it happened for a reason, and rather than look back wistfully at a past that in Gods eyes was not meant to be, we ought to encourage English Catholics to dig deeply into their own English patrimony ( Sarum, Baldwin of Forde, Cuthbert, Guthlac of Crowland, Rood Screens,Bede, simple homey stone churches, Columba of Iona etc.) along with whatever can be rehabilitated of Anglicanism as filtered through the Ordinariates and build on the ruins of both mainstream Roman Catholicism post Vatican II and the tragedy of the Reformation.

If anything the via media of classical Anglo Catholicism is a useful heurmeneutic tool today for those of us living in the wasteland of modern Catholicism. Somehow we have to take the best of the old with the new and move forward trying to hasten this Catholic renassissance.

Yes it happened for a reason, a king wanted to divorce his wife. That's like saying the fall happened for a reason and expecting this to justify it.
And history serves for more than to be just a melancholic gaze into the past. And the truth in history is very important, even for the purpose of rebuilding the Church.

That was an interesting article. Another interesting thing to consider would be, what if the Church were to remain truly Catholic?
(04-25-2015, 06:51 PM)Clare Brigid Wrote: I :love: rood screens.

Ha! Me too. I'd love to see a revival of them. There's a lot that's beautiful in English Christianity. Perhaps since I have Welsh blood going back at least as far as the tenth century on my fathers side of the family I've always loved homey pre reformation, pre schism English Christianity as much as I love the exhuberant Slavic ways of my Russian ancestors on my moms side.
(04-25-2015, 06:59 PM)Renatus Frater Wrote:
(04-25-2015, 06:31 PM)formerbuddhist Wrote: While the Reformation was tragic I'd dare to say it happened for a reason, and rather than look back wistfully at a past that in Gods eyes was not meant to be, we ought to encourage English Catholics to dig deeply into their own English patrimony ( Sarum, Baldwin of Forde, Cuthbert, Guthlac of Crowland, Rood Screens,Bede, simple homey stone churches, Columba of Iona etc.) along with whatever can be rehabilitated of Anglicanism as filtered through the Ordinariates and build on the ruins of both mainstream Roman Catholicism post Vatican II and the tragedy of the Reformation.

Yes it happened for a reason, a king wanted to divorce his wife. That's like saying the fall happened for a reason and expecting this to justify it.
And history serves for more than to be just a melancholic gaze into the past. And the truth in history is very important, even for the purpose of rebuilding the Church.

That was an interesting article. Another interesting thing to consider would be, what if the Church were to remain truly Catholic?

The last part is the million dollar question. I'm not sure there is any way of knowing what England would be like had the English Reformation never happened. Vatican II would probably still have happened, and Vatican II helped hasten the collapse of the Church everywhere it was implemented, and all under the authority of the Popes and the bishops.

A merry olde England of monasteries housing the homeless and happy chaps walking past colorful cathedrals is in many ways dependent upon a strong unabashedly unapologetically Catholic Church that uses its authority wisely but allows the local church to build upon its own traditions as long as they don't run up against true doctrine. The Church since Vatican II is a pale imitation of that type of Catholicism that would bring about such an England. 

(04-25-2015, 07:00 PM)formerbuddhist Wrote:

Ha! Me too. I'd love to see a revival of them. There's a lot that's beautiful in English Christianity.

Okay.  Let's do this.

[Image: 725150_6e23f675.jpg]

I make it a default rule that whenever I would conjure up some fantasy church or cathedral design in SketchUp, I would always have a rood screen instead of a simple altar rail to distinguish the sanctuary from the nave.

[Image: catedral-la-seu-5.png?w=1290&h=655]

N.