What Catholic England would look like today
Ironically if England had remained Catholic, rood screens probably would have gone eventually, anyway. By the 1580s the Jesuit Chiesa del Gesù in Rome opened up the sanctuary, leaving a mere altar rail in place of the intricate screens of old. This idea swept across Catholic Europe quickly, leaving precious few roods. The Spirit of Trent in action.

Perhaps a Reformation radically weakened by the non-participation of England might not have warranted the Counter-Reformation of Catholic liturgical furniture and architecture to the degree that it did in reality. Perhaps we'd still be rood-lovers. I find it rather amusing that the Anglo-Catholics revived rood screens and it is mostly high Anglican churches in the UK that have roods, and not [Roman] Catholics.

Anyway, I'm with Former Buddhist. The small Anglo-Saxon churches, filled with incense, simple carvings, and divine love are much more English than the massive Norman Cathedrals. In that sense, England really did have a cultural identity very much separate from the Continent -- at least until 1066.

There is a definite split between "Dark Ages" England and Norman England. They were about equal in length, too: 500 years on either side. Sometimes I wonder if the barbaric Tudor line would have had as much impetus without the Norman revolution of 1066.  :blush: Such is the variegation and changing of man.

Interesting article, I suppose.
(04-26-2015, 09:28 AM)Heorot Wrote: Ironically if England had remained Catholic, rood screens probably would have gone eventually, anyway.

Or they would be replaced with rood screens in the Baroque style, like many cathedrals in France before the Revolution. Another possibility is that they could have been replaced by iron gates, similar to the Spanish rejas.

N.
Nostalgia is fun but lets face the facts; England's churches would look very similar to American modern churches. (disasters in architecture) Very few, if any of the old beautiful churches would be left. (just like today)

Rather one could speculate on "if Luther never existed". Now we may get somewhere.