Kid Makes the Case for Vegetarianism Without Trying To

Unless you speak Portugese, you'll likely need to click the Closed Captioning (CC) button (you might have to go watch it on Youtube to have that option; I'm not sure...)

This kid is gorgeous, inquisitive, and adorable. And he makes a case for vegetarianism without trying to. Me, I'm not a vegetarian, but if I were to become one, it'd be because of the same sort of attitude this kid has:

I showed this video to my 3 and 4 yr old and they want to watch it over and over.  It is a cute video. Thank you for sharing :)

Cute kid. 

Hardly makes the case, though.

Cute kid indeed, but ya, he doesn't make a decent case for vegetarianism. He doesn't have the intelligence to sort it through...yet. In a couple of years, he could change his views as he becomes more informed. I'd wager he's already an omnivore like humans were designed to be.

This idea of having to kill something applies to the plants too, after all. Studies have shown reactions (galvanometric) in plants in an area where other plants are being harvested, not to mention of the plants that were harvested. So, plants, it can be argued, feel pain and perhaps loss at the death of another plant. Who's 'suffering' is greater; the plant or the animal. It all gets back to that question.

Bottom line, when something eats something else, more often than not, something has to die. I mean, even cheese has bacteria that will die when the cheese is eaten.
I am basically a vegetarian. Mostly because I love cheese and cream more than meat. I once watched my husband slaughter a lamb and it was horrifying. I like to eat lamb and I insisted on watching because I wanted to know the real story behind my meal. I couldn't describe why it was so moving and traumatic for me, aside from being generally a very sensitive person. Interesting to think of the parallels between that and Christ's sacrifice for us.

Yeah plants die, too, but it doesn't have the same effect when the blood pours out over the floor, or the sound of the knock on the skull before the throat slashing....OK, I think you get my drift. I admire the kid for his curosity and inquiry. He's further along in abstract though than most teenagers.
Ewes are notorious for abandoning their lambs, which is part of the reason why the lambing season is so demanding on shepherds, attempting to foster the bond between mother and child by confining them in small pens. Left to their own accord, many breeds have extremely high rates of abandonment. On top of that, there are other birthing difficulties and complications following birth that require assistance. Had it not been for the shepherd's work, that lamb whose throat was slit may very well have died shivering on the cool green pasture, its mother callously refusing to heed its cries for milk.

Our ancestors, through the ages, developed many breeds of sheep and other animals that suit the particularities of land, culture, usage patterns, and local tastes. Some breeds produce more twins, but require more work. Some breeds are all-purpose, and some mainly for one product, like wool or milk or meat.

Sheep were domesticated so long ago that they have been shaped profoundly by man's work. They have been so transformed that it is difficult to identify precisely just which kind of wild antecedent was used in early domestication. Although a food animal (in large part), they are as much a product of human culture as the dog, and a successful boycott of the use of sheep, out of principle or sentimentality, would only mean the end of sheep as such. Similarly, those who think it cruelty or exploitation to own dogs would really just have dogs go extinct, in favor of wolves.

I was a vegetarian for about ten years. I love animals, and I eat them in part because I love them. I cannot afford to frequently eat good meat from old heirloom breeds, raised ethically and with sound practices, but that is what I eat when I do eat meat. I use every part I can: organ meats, tendon, bones, caul fat. I am committed to supporting an alternative to corporate monoculture, homogeneity, and factory farming. I support responsible stewardship of animals as a facet both of man's headship over creation, as well as an element of our cultural patrimony.