maximum amount of sins to be forgiven
(04-27-2015, 09:55 PM)Bourbon Apocalypse Wrote: Do be careful--once again, as someone who can relate--about your online reading/listening. Without a strong formation (and how many of us have one these days?), you can easily lose your joy and trust in the Lord by obsessing over a particular passage or the comments of an anonymous poster. I think that there is a certain type of (Internet) Trad (very toxic) who preys on scrupulous people and will cite the most fear-inducing comments from the saints that he can find--maybe he wants everyone to be as miserable as he is, I do not know. If you come across such people, flee. I believe FishEaters had been cleansed of such types, but be on guard.

I know we're not supposed to mention other fora, but I am very scrupulous so I understand completely.  If you're scrupulous, STAY AWAY FROM SUSCIPE DOMINE!!!  This is where all the toxic trads fled to, and unfortunately a few really, genuinely good people too.  Look at me as an example.  I've mostly lost my faith, not sure if I will ever get it back, and it is largely because of the instigation of toxic trads.  Everything you can think of that is bad about Traditional Catholicism, the founders of Suscipe Domine revel in it with glee, like pigs rolling around in their own filth.  The worst part is, as far as I can tell, they truly, to the bottom of their souls, believe they are being good Catholics.  If you have any hint of scrupulosity, STAY AWAY FROM SUSCIPE DOMINE as if there were an angel wielding a flaming sword in front of it!!!
I actually never heard of that forum or I forgot so no worries there! I've cut back a lot of my online time some months ago, got rid of social media, etc. I have more peace now but sometimes I venture back and occasionally get confused on some issues. Then I learn my lesson and go back to reading my Saint and devotional books. Then i go back to the discussions and get confused again. Ad nauseum :crazy:. Im OK with some forums depending on topic but some topics are not for me maybe.
(04-28-2015, 09:35 AM)little_flower10 Wrote: Thank you for the replies! :) I think maybe Fr Relyae meant about lack of repentance/amendment, and my priest meant that interpretation where you only get a few tries and that's it even if you're repentant. (My priest said that view is incorrect). If its linked to lack of repentance that's different though I guess yes?

Do I understand correctly that amendment is wanting to change your life and not do the sin anymore?

This is one of those topics that could really confuse a scrupulous person I think. That's why I usually read more comforting devotional books. Preaching on hell and difficulty of being saved is great for those with a lax conscience but scrupulous people need to grow in confidence and trust. :)

Hey, who you're calling lax here  :LOL:
(04-28-2015, 10:44 AM)Renatus Frater Wrote:
(04-28-2015, 09:35 AM)little_flower10 Wrote: Thank you for the replies! :) I think maybe Fr Relyae meant about lack of repentance/amendment, and my priest meant that interpretation where you only get a few tries and that's it even if you're repentant. (My priest said that view is incorrect). If its linked to lack of repentance that's different though I guess yes?

Do I understand correctly that amendment is wanting to change your life and not do the sin anymore?

This is one of those topics that could really confuse a scrupulous person I think. That's why I usually read more comforting devotional books. Preaching on hell and difficulty of being saved is great for those with a lax conscience but scrupulous people need to grow in confidence and trust. :)

Hey, who you're calling lax here  :LOL:

Lol no worries certainly no one here :) maybe should rephrase - lax conscious people or those who can handle the intensity of it all.  :grin:
(04-28-2015, 10:14 AM)Clare Brigid Wrote: Yes, Little Flower.  "The just man falls seven times a day." 

The "matter" of the sacrament of penance requires "firm purpose of amendment."  That means you want and intend to stop.  For most people, with certain besetting sins, it will turn out to be a process.  That does not mean they were insincere when they confessed.  It means they are human, subject to the human condition, even with grace.

Great! :)
(04-28-2015, 09:40 AM)Clare Brigid Wrote: Little Flower, for a sane, healthy, orthodox and deeply profound understanding of what being a Catholic essentially entails, I always recommend Christ the Life of the Soul by Columba Marmion.  I heard about Bl. Columba years ago from the monastery of a Benedictine monastery, but this book, in particular, was recommended to us during an SSPX retreat at Ridgefield, CT by a priest of the SSPX.

Some books can be used to heal.  In fact, there is a discipline called bibliotherapy, which involves the use of books to heal emotional ills.  Bl. Columba is one of the best forms of bibliotherapy I know for sensitive Catholics who have been battered by certain temperaments who love to flex their zeal (disregarding charity and prudence).

By the way, Bourbs, you have officially achieved mensch status.

Hey--we are all Fishies just trying to swim upstream, right? Based upon your frequent referral, I have purchased this book. I look forward to delving into it this summer when I have more time.
Really great to hear.

The chapters are divided into numbered sections that lend themselves to spiritual reading.  And the consensus is that Marmion needs to be read that way -- in small bites, digested thoroughly. 

Bon appetit.
(04-28-2015, 10:24 AM)Melkite Wrote:
(04-27-2015, 09:55 PM)Bourbon Apocalypse Wrote: Do be careful--once again, as someone who can relate--about your online reading/listening. Without a strong formation (and how many of us have one these days?), you can easily lose your joy and trust in the Lord by obsessing over a particular passage or the comments of an anonymous poster. I think that there is a certain type of (Internet) Trad (very toxic) who preys on scrupulous people and will cite the most fear-inducing comments from the saints that he can find--maybe he wants everyone to be as miserable as he is, I do not know. If you come across such people, flee. I believe FishEaters had been cleansed of such types, but be on guard.

I know we're not supposed to mention other fora, but I am very scrupulous so I understand completely.  If you're scrupulous, STAY AWAY FROM SUSCIPE DOMINE!!!  This is where all the toxic trads fled to, and unfortunately a few really, genuinely good people too.  Look at me as an example.  I've mostly lost my faith, not sure if I will ever get it back, and it is largely because of the instigation of toxic trads.  Everything you can think of that is bad about Traditional Catholicism, the founders of Suscipe Domine revel in it with glee, like pigs rolling around in their own filth.  The worst part is, as far as I can tell, they truly, to the bottom of their souls, believe they are being good Catholics.  If you have any hint of scrupulosity, STAY AWAY FROM SUSCIPE DOMINE as if there were an angel wielding a flaming sword in front of it!!!

The ultimate irony in telling people to stay away from something is the fallen nature being tempted now to look.  However, as a poster on many internet forums, I only wish to say that while I do post hard sayings, if I detect that I am causing despair, I try to counter balance it, I just hope I haven't led to being a contributor to someones scruples.
(04-28-2015, 03:49 PM)nmoerbeek Wrote: The ultimate irony in telling people to stay away from something is the fallen nature being tempted now to look.  However, as a poster on many internet forums, I only wish to say that while I do post hard sayings, if I detect that I am causing despair, I try to counter balance it, I just hope I haven't led to being a contributor to someones scruples.

I don't remember you ever saying anything that has lead to my despair and doubts, but my recommendation would be to leave the hard sayings to the monks.
(04-28-2015, 03:49 PM)nmoerbeek Wrote:
(04-28-2015, 10:24 AM)Melkite Wrote:

The ultimate irony in telling people to stay away from something is the fallen nature being tempted now to look.  However, as a poster on many internet forums, I only wish to say that while I do post hard sayings, if I detect that I am causing despair, I try to counter balance it, I just hope I haven't led to being a contributor to someones scruples.

nmoerbeek: Not at all--I have been reading your posts long enough to know that you are one of the gentlest, most thoughtful posters in the Trad fora-sphere. When you post, it is clear, at least to me, that you truly care for the spiritual well-being of those to whom you respond. Also, I did not mean to imply that one should not post "hard truths," but we all know those who, to be somewhat crude, get their jollies in frightening the easily discouraged. Lacking a spirit that even remotely resembles the spirit of Christ, they see every bruised reed as a batting practice.