maximum amount of sins to be forgiven

What most everyone else said. I am really bothered by "toxic trads" (as if y'all haven't figured that out by now) and by sermons that are hellfire and brimstone-based. When I see one of those Protestant evangelicals on a corner going on about Hell, I want to cry.

The Gospel means "the GOOD News." I don't see anything "good" about the idea that God is out to git ya, just waiting to pounce on you and toss you into Hell for being human. No way, no how. God is God. He is Love. He is Mercy. He is our Father. Just as with an earthly Father, it takes a lot, IMO, to get cut off from Him. Being God, He is obviously no fool. He knows our hearts better than we do. He knows if we're repentant, even if we need to confess the same sin over and over. He knows our habits, how we were raised, our weaknesses, our strengths. He will NOT be mocked, and people who think that sin doesn't exist and Hell is a lie will be in for a rude awakening. But He is most assuredly not out to "get" us. He loves us. He loves us so much that He sent His only-begotten Son to die for us. That is not a Being Who wants to see us roasting over the flames.

I think the best way to think about all of these sorts of things is to focus on His Fatherhood. That concept is so crucial to a healthy understanding of things, if you ask me.  If you were blessed to have had a good Father, this might come more easily to you, but if you grew up in a broken home or with a malignant father, use your imagination. It might sound simplistic, but take the best "TV Dads" you can imagine -- Andy Griffith, Bill Cosby, Robert Young, etc. -- and multiply their goodness by a gazillion. Really. Any of those Dads would have their limits. All are depicted as wise and knowing their kids' hearts, knowing when they're BSing, when they're sorry and when they're not, what lessons they need to learn, etc. God is our FATHER. He knows us. He LOVES us. He should be "feared" for His power and authority, not because of some sense that He is capricious or sadistic. Those thoughts are lies. They are demonic. They are blasphemy, and in some sense, I think severe scrupulosity is rather blasphemous. Throw all thoughts like that out of your head and just LOVE HIM BACK by honoring Him, and loving your neighbor as you love yourself.

There is no limit to "the number" of confessions you might need to make for the same sin. What matters is your true contrition. IF you are contrite (which includes the willingness to not commit that sin again), and even IF you are confessing the same sin for the 70 times 70th times, you will be forgiven. End of story.

Couldn't have said it better Vox  :)

The more I learn about the Saints the more I learn about just how diverse they were in terms of approaching areas of morality in different ways. Some saints were more fire and brimstone and hardcore and very strict in certain areas such as confession, the pulpit, and even on certain ecclesial disciplines. Other saints were just as serious about the Faith but were more compassionate and understanding of human nature.

I really admire saints such Saint Francis de Sales, Saint Don Bosco and Saint Philip Neri. I always try to put into practice what many saints have once quoted "You attract more bees with honey than you do with vinegar" I think this is most definitely true. I really hope that if I ever do become a priest and just in my general life that I also follow in these examples of genuine compassion and love that many of these before-mentioned saints have shown.

The more I interact with people whether in school or Church related apostolates such as doing door to door, the more I see that most people who have hatred of the Church or who are simply living a sinful life are in the majority doing these things out of mere ignorance and many don't know better.

I always pray to God that I many always be firm and serious about the Faith but also gentle and compassion enough to meet people where they are at.
I wonder if people here would consider Michael Voris a toxic trad. Since his fixation over the SSPX I unsubscribed from their youtube channel, and today I visited it. It seems he is now focused pretty intensely on hell, now bashing, with the full force of his unsubtlety, Fr. Barron and Fr. von Balthasar, for the mole'th time (meanwhile, I don't recall them calling out Fr. Barron on the absurd idea that now, finally, the Church is thinking about sexual ethics, as it was thinking Christology on the fourth century). He seems to be intentionally divisive and rude when it comes to preaching.

I don't know, just want the opinions.
Voris is passionate about his Catholicism, but he can be over the top and he's not my cup of tea. Honestly, as I've matured a bit in my faith I'm really not interested in fire and brimstone preaching,rad trad polemics, conspiracy theories, apocalyptic Fatima stuff etc. Best to take a middle way approach I guess. Overall Mike Voris has a good heart and there's no doubt he's serious about his faith, his style is a bit abrasive for my tastes though.
(05-01-2015, 07:16 PM)formerbuddhist Wrote: Voris is passionate about his Catholicism, but he can be over the top and he's not my cup of tea. Honestly, as I've matured a bit in my faith I'm really not interested in fire and brimstone preaching,rad trad polemics, conspiracy theories, apocalyptic Fatima stuff etc. Best to take a middle way approach I guess. Overall Mike Voris has a good heart and there's no doubt he's serious about his faith, his style is a bit abrasive for my tastes though.

Well, I don't mean to be uncharitable to Voris, but since you bashed Fr. Relyea so bad, I'm kinda curious. Do you think Fr. Relyea doesn't have a good heart and is not serious about the faith?
Also, all Voris' divisiveness, especially in these troubled times, strikes me as a bit more than unhealthy, and if Verrecchio is correct in his speculations, this is driven by economic interests, which would mean Voris is placing money above truth and honesty—but, again, I don't know, I'm just curious about this whole toxic trad thing.
(05-01-2015, 07:34 PM)Renatus Frater Wrote:
(05-01-2015, 07:16 PM)formerbuddhist Wrote: Voris is passionate about his Catholicism, but he can be over the top and he's not my cup of tea. Honestly, as I've matured a bit in my faith I'm really not interested in fire and brimstone preaching,rad trad polemics, conspiracy theories, apocalyptic Fatima stuff etc. Best to take a middle way approach I guess. Overall Mike Voris has a good heart and there's no doubt he's serious about his faith, his style is a bit abrasive for my tastes though.

Well, I don't mean to be uncharitable to Voris, but since you bashed Fr. Relyea so bad, I'm kinda curious. Do you think Fr. Relyea doesn't have a good heart and is not serious about the faith?
Also, all Voris' divisiveness, especially in these troubled times, strikes me as a bit more than unhealthy, and if Verrecchio is correct in his speculations, this is driven by economic interests, which would mean Voris is placing money above truth and honesty—but, again, I don't know, I'm just curious about this whole toxic trad thing.

I don't at all care for Father Realya's style, but I never said anything apart his heart. I'd like to think a priest who is willing to preach such hard hitting stuff has a good heart. I certainly don't want to judge where his heart lies,it's just that he's not my style.  I think in today's day and age the style of a Father Realya will either convert souls or drive people to joyless fanaticism and scrupulosity.

It's possible Voris is compromising for money or human respect , it would certainly be easy enough. I don't think Father Realya is, I mean, you don't get popular for being as fire breathing as he is. 

And yes, I'd agree that being divisive in these times is unhealthy. Times are confusing enough where traditional Catholics of all persuasions should be amicable with one another.
I don't know much about Voris - I'm not going to speculate about his intentions at all.. I'd assume he has a good heart and just wants to inform people about things. I assume that even more with Fr Relyae - who I have nothing against. I think he's probably a great priest.

However, I don't personally watch Voris' talks because I don't like thinking much about stuff happening in the Church etc. I mean if something important is happening I'd like to know so I can pray etc. But I don't like having huge conversations about all the problems in the Church and I try to concentrate instead on spirituality, my devotions, etc. I think it can be a distraction to think about those things toooo too much.