Dollar Shave Club
IF you haven't heard about this yet, it's basically a subscription service for razors.  You choose what type of razor you want (three levels) and every month they send you a month's supply of cartridges for $1 - $6 (including shipping, plus they give you the first handle free).  I was skeptical at first, but the blades are easily the quality of the higher end blades you'd find at Wal-Mart or Target, plus they tend to last longer for me (I have a heavy beard, so I'm typically murder on razors).  Check them out, you'll save a ton of money.

Dollar Shave Club
I'm definitely making the switch once my expensive blades run out.
Clement of Alexandria Wrote:But for one who is a man to comb himself and shave himself with a razor, for the sake of fine effect, to arrange his hair at the looking-glass, to shave his cheeks, pluck hairs out of them, and smooth them, how womanly! […] For this is a meretricious and impious form of snare. For God wished women to be smooth, and rejoice in their locks alone growing spontaneously, as a horse in his mane; but has adorned man, like the lions, with a beard, and endowed him, as an attribute of manhood, with a shaggy chest – a sign of strength and rule. […]

This, then, the mark of the man, the beard, by which he is seen to be a man, is older than Eve… In this God deemed it right that he should excel, and dispersed hair over man’s whole body. Whatever smoothness and softness was in him He abstracted from his side when He formed the woman Eve, physically receptive, his partner in parentage, his help in household management, while he (for he had parted with all smoothness) remained a man, and shows himself man. […]

Wherefore males have both more hair and more heat than females… It is therefore impious to desecrate the symbol of manhood, hairiness. But the embellishment of smoothing (for I am warned by the Word), if it is to attract men, is the act of an effeminate person,— if to attract women, is the act of an adulterer; and both must be driven as far as possible from our society.

:P
(05-26-2015, 12:07 AM)Dirigible Wrote:
Clement of Alexandria Wrote:But for one who is a man to comb himself and shave himself with a razor, for the sake of fine effect, to arrange his hair at the looking-glass, to shave his cheeks, pluck hairs out of them, and smooth them, how womanly! […] For this is a meretricious and impious form of snare. For God wished women to be smooth, and rejoice in their locks alone growing spontaneously, as a horse in his mane; but has adorned man, like the lions, with a beard, and endowed him, as an attribute of manhood, with a shaggy chest – a sign of strength and rule. […]

This, then, the mark of the man, the beard, by which he is seen to be a man, is older than Eve… In this God deemed it right that he should excel, and dispersed hair over man’s whole body. Whatever smoothness and softness was in him He abstracted from his side when He formed the woman Eve, physically receptive, his partner in parentage, his help in household management, while he (for he had parted with all smoothness) remained a man, and shows himself man. […]

Wherefore males have both more hair and more heat than females… It is therefore impious to desecrate the symbol of manhood, hairiness. But the embellishment of smoothing (for I am warned by the Word), if it is to attract men, is the act of an effeminate person,— if to attract women, is the act of an adulterer; and both must be driven as far as possible from our society.

:P

[Image: capt.bb53b30e82e34d6b87ae51d853725e46.in...rmx105.jpg]

So manly!
^^^Lol.

Of course, if you really want to settle the manliness questions:

[Image: 140510.jpg]
Lol I'm a chicken. My one and only attempt at using a straight razor ended badly enough that it hasn't seen the light of day in over a decade. Mrs. Maccabees still gives me a hard time about Bloody Sunday...
I have to admit that I, too, have yet lathered up the courage (or the cash) to start using a straight razor. Currently, though, I do use a safety razor, and now I cannot imagine going back to anything pre-that. What a difference it makes. I have extremely thick hair (combination of my Scots-Irish/Japanese heritage), and a safety razor makes shaving much easier than when I  used to use Gillette razors. (Maybe it is the weight?) You can buy a decent safety razor for $30 to $50 on Amazon. The blades are very cheap as well. Also, here is a little trick: when your blade begins to go dull, run it a few times down the leg of a pair of jeans; this sharpens the blade and extends its life.  :tiphat: 
Sped thrifts! LOL! I used to shave with a straight razor, but I gave it up when I had kids. Never gotten back into it, but now I shave with an old 3 piece double edged razor. You youngster probably don't remember, but you unscrew the handle and the head cmes off in two pieces. You insert a blade and screw the handle back on. And I buy my blades for less than 10 cents apiece!
One time purchase!
http://smile.amazon.com/Merkur-Long-Handled-Safety-Razor/dp/B000NL0T1G/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1433055326&sr=8-9&keywords=double+edged+razors

Who's saving money?
Quote:But for one who is a man to comb himself and shave himself with a razor, for the sake of fine effect, to arrange his hair at the looking-glass, to shave his cheeks, pluck hairs out of them, and smooth them, how womanly! […] For this is a meretricious and impious form of snare. For God wished women to be smooth, and rejoice in their locks alone growing spontaneously, as a horse in his mane; but has adorned man, like the lions, with a beard, and endowed him, as an attribute of manhood, with a shaggy chest – a sign of strength and rule. […]

If I may ask Dirigible, what is this/these quote/s from?? It seems very Victorian but I'm not sure. Thanks for any help!!
(06-01-2015, 07:38 PM)arkansas_trad Wrote: If I may ask Dirigible, what is this/these quote/s from?? It seems very Victorian but I'm not sure. Thanks for any help!!

As I indicated (though I see how you missed it), it's Clement of Alexandria (lived 150-215), a father of the Church.