What do we dare to discuss, what do Priests dare to preach?
This is the only religious forum that I have not been banned from -- of the forums I was actively involved with.  Five different forums.  The posts and threads that initially got me into trouble were ones where I directly, or indirectly, criticized abortion, divorce annulments and remarriage, and premarital sex..

I understand that the Pope and Priests don't want to drive divorcees, homosexuals, and unmarried couples away from the Catholic religion -- but shouldn't they preach the morality that Catholics should at least aspire towards even if they are not living it?  Or is it better to keep religion as unoffensive as possible?  This post is undoubtedly offensive to some of the people on this board...

It seems to me that some of the Popes most criticized statements were made when he was trying to preach about something morally important -- while leaving out anything that might offend anybody. So the statement ends up very vague or even sounding like it is in some way condoning immoral behavior.
From what I've seen, people can say pretty much whatever is on their minds here. There are lines that can't be crossed, but those lines are beyond where any decent person would go.  If someone doesn't like a bishop, pope, religious, council, or whatever, they can just say so. Then, we can have a discussion about it and learn from each other. That's the point of these forums, and this one does it best. I just wish more people saw it that way, because it can get pretty dead around here sometimes.
I'm just impressed you've been banned from 5 different fora.  :thumb:
Wow, you've been banned for that? I could easily picture myself being banned from here (the only forum I'm active—I really lack the patience and time for multiple forums), but because sometimes I'm not a good person. But being banned for speaking against abortion in a religious forum? Who else would be banned? Not only JPII, but even Francis.

Last week and this Sunday a bunch of things took place that made me think about the relation of morality and the faith: it was Corpus Christi, the evangelicals did a “march for Jesus” and the gays did their parade. I guess this three groups are representatives of the major lines in my society (Brazil): the Catholics, encompassing both faithful Catholics and the traditional families that are Catholics in name only; the fiery evangelicals, who are usually very engage politically; and the modern liberals. Now, the evangelicals and the group that was symbolized and represented by the gays are in direct opposition: they are both contra something and ultimately they are against each other—in a way they are opposite sides of the same coin, one opposing every kind of morality and the other opposing the libertine ethos. Now, the Catholics are not opposing anything: we simply made the Eucharistic procession and in this act of adoration that is essentially affirmative, by consequence, all else was denied. As the priest said this Sunday, by loving we are hated—not by simply opposing, confronting (even though the priest did that, which I think took some courage, given e were in a major Church which is always full of tourists). So, a Catholic must first be a Catholic, and by being that he will take a stand these hot-button issues. Unfortunately, as the disintegration of society and the prevalence of voluntarism (one simply choosing one religion, among many, because it fits him or her), many people are entering the Church not because they believe in the Church, but because they are opposed to something (even if its societal disintegration). One could even go as far as to call it evangelical Catholicism.

(06-08-2015, 11:53 AM)Renatus Frater Wrote: But being banned for speaking against abortion in a religious forum? Who else would be banned? Not only JPII, but even Francis.

I wasn't officially for debating abortion, but I got a number of angry PM's about my abortion posts and those same people would report an "objectionable" post by me and I would get suspended -- and ultimately banned. This happened in two of the forums, the other three banned me without explanation.

I'll give an example of a thread I got a suspension for.  I started a thread on "Cat Scratch Fever".  One morning I woke up with a pain in my crotch and a big bump.  I was horrified and was sure that I had a hernia and would have to go to the hospital for it.  But when I went to the doctor he seemed mildly amused and asked me if I had been scratched by a cat.  I told him that yes I had, we had a bunch of kittens at home.  And he told me that cats had bad bacteria on their claws  and I had the infamous "cat scratch fever".  He gave me a mild antibiotic and that cured it. Anyway somebody posted a video of Wayne Newton singing "Cat Scratch Fever", and people started asking if the cat scratch fever in his song was the same as what I had. I told them no, that song is really about sex. They disagreed and asked me what was sexual about the song, so I posted a couple of lines of the lyrics and argued that when he say's he "got it from the kitty next door" that is actually referring to a girl. I was suspended for 3 or 4 months, for my vague "sexual" post.

The abortion posts that people found offensive had to do with politicians.  I argued that Ron Paul was prolife and Mitt Romney's position was prochoice.  Mitt Romney's position is the Mormon Churches position -- that abortion should be legal for cases of rape, incest, or threat to the women's physical or mental health. Ron Paul wanted to let the individual states vote on whether to keep it legal or not. Romney's position is actually more liberal than "Roe V Wade" -- which is worded almost exactly the same -- because "Roe V Wade" only allowed for abortion up to a certain term in the pregnancy.  So people argued with me that Romney's position, and "Roe V Wade", was really prolife  -- because they did not support abortion for convenience.  They argued that Ron Paul was actually the prochoicer.

Oops somehow my post got mixed with your quote.
I want to add that I don't feel that my prolife position only considers the baby and not the mother who was perhaps the victim of rape or incest.  I can imagine that it is emotionally extremely difficult to carry a baby through to birth that was conceived by rape or incest.

But an abortion doesn't fix everything.  Many women become deeply depressed after an abortion -- "Post abortion syndrome".  And I suspect that emotionally it would be very difficult for a mother to give her baby up for adoption after the birth -- even if the baby was conceived because of rape or incest.  I think it is hard to do when you see the baby and you know that baby is yours.
The common interpretation of Cat Scratch Fever is its sexual nature. Even Ted Nugent, who wrote the song (unless we're talking about two different songs...), said so. If people don't want to listen, you just have to let them be unfortunately...
(06-08-2015, 08:19 PM)richgr Wrote: The common interpretation of Cat Scratch Fever is its sexual nature. Even Ted Nugent, who wrote the song (unless we're talking about two different songs...), said so. If people don't want to listen, you just have to let them be unfortunately...

Actually I think that they were teasing me when they said that they didn't see it.  I think I responded a little too quickly -- and got suspended...  :(
(06-08-2015, 10:06 PM)Southerncaliforniaguy Wrote:
(06-08-2015, 08:19 PM)richgr Wrote: The common interpretation of Cat Scratch Fever is its sexual nature. Even Ted Nugent, who wrote the song (unless we're talking about two different songs...), said so. If people don't want to listen, you just have to let them be unfortunately...

Actually I think that they were teasing me when they said that they didn't see it.  I think I responded a little too quickly -- and got suspended...  :(

The lack of that sort of casual nastiness is one reason I like this place. It's disappointing to find it so commonly on what are supposed to be Christian sites.