Is John Vennari schismatic?

I found a cd class on the philosophy of Thomas Aquinas by John Vennari.  It sounded interesting, but then I heard some of his other stuff is very critical of the pope.  Now, I understand there is a place for Catholics to be critical of the pope, but it needs to be done with caution.  Does he cross the line?  Should I be leery of purchasing his CDs?
No. Being an SSPX supporter does not make somebody a schismatic.

So Vennari is connected to SSPX?  Weren't they excommunicated at one time?  Has the excommunication been lifted?
(06-10-2015, 06:40 PM)brian_g Wrote: So Vennari is connected to SSPX?  Weren't they excommunicated at one time?  Has the excommunication been lifted?

Decree lifting the Excommunications of the four S.S.P.X. Bishops
Even if John Vennari openly supported/supports the SSPX, that would not mean that the previous excommunication on the SSPX bishops would have extended to him. In order to confirm that he is a schismatic, you would need some evidence that he said something to the effect of: "I reject the authority of the Roman Pontiff whomever he may be and those in authority in communion with him."
What I recommend that you do is to study the Catechism of the Catholic Church. Then, judge what you read/hear in that light. Where this or that person gives an insight to what the Catholic church teaches then well and good. Where they contradict what the Catholic Church teaches then ignore them.
(06-10-2015, 11:46 AM)brian_g Wrote: I found a cd class on the philosophy of Thomas Aquinas by John Vennari.  It sounded interesting, but then I heard some of his other stuff is very critical of the pope.  Now, I understand there is a place for Catholics to be critical of the pope, but it needs to be done with caution.  Does he cross the line?  Should I be leery of purchasing his CDs?
I think one should be careful not to confuse criticism of a popes words, actions or inactions, apparent political ideologies or ambitions, with a rejection of the papacy.

History is littered with personally ambitious popes and antipopes who have caused great scandal to the Faithful but, all the same, the succession of the Peterine office, and the temporal governance and order of the Church has persisted through them and in spite of them.

Popes are not impeccable and the integrity of the Mystical Body is not dependent on a pope's integrity.

Papalatry is a sin against the First Commandment just is in any other leader-worship. He has his role in the economy of Salvation and will be judged by the Judge like everyone else... even so, the Mystical Body will have a head till the end of time even if the head is sick from time to time.

You don't get to be schismatic by observing that the head is drunk.

I don't know what Vennari has been saying recently but I think that if you can't criticise Frank's antics you don't know the Faith of our Fathers.