Pope backs sainthood candidacy of 'anti-Semitic' priest

From Yahoo News:

Pope backs sainthood candidacy of 'anti-Semitic' priest
AFP
June 5, 2015 3:07 PM

Vatican City (AFP) - Pope Francis raised eyebrows on Friday by supporting the candidacy for sainthood of a French priest whose dossier was put on hold in 2005 because of his alleged anti-Semitic views.

Leon Dehon (1843-1925), founder of the Priests of the Sacred Heart order, had been declared venerable in 1997 by pope John Paul II but his beatification -- the next step on the path to sainthood -- ran into difficulties.

It had been initially scheduled for April 2005 but was delayed by John Paul II's death. Attempts to revive his case stalled under Francis's predecessor Benedict XVI, who set up a commission to investigate the allegations of anti-Semitism.

But Francis told a Priests of the Sacred Heart delegation on Friday that he wanted the beatification process to "end well" and insisted Dehon's attitude be placed in a historic context, according to religious news agency I.Media.

"It's a hermeneutic problem... We must study a historic situation with the hermeneutic of the time rather than of today," he said.

In his 1898 "Social Catechism", Dehon wrote that Jews "have maintained their hatred of Christ and... willingly favor all the enemies of the Church."

According to French newspaper reports from 2005, he described the Talmud as the "manual of the bandit, corruptor, social destroyer" and anti-Semitism as a "sign of hope".

A heartening development. I was unaware that there was even a commission set up to investigate the alleged Anti-Semitism. I wonder whether similar special commissions were set up in other causes for beatification, to determine specifically whether French persons harbored Anglophobic or Teutonophobic views, or whether English persons were Francophobic, according to the hermeneutic of the time.
How is saying "jews have a hatred for christ" anti-Semitic? If your Jewish and you like Christ that would make no sense at all. Christ was either the son of God or an insane person, there can be no "well he's alright". Political Correctness just kills any ability to have intellectual dialogue about stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Okay, I'm gonna buck the trend a bit here.  I should preface by saying that I don't know the life of this priest, and he most likely had a lot of good and saintly qualities; however, I think that if the following quotes indeed were true and in context, that's pretty bad.  I know all my Jewish friends would take issue with that - whether you think that's important or not, that's another topic.  I'm not a fan of ecumenism run amok, but no matter how I dissect these quotes, I can't really justify them.  It's over-generalization, and to be honest, wrong, even taken in context of those times.  It's akin to saying that slavery in America was fine, when taken "in context" of the times.  There were those who stood up against such evil ideologies even during those times, and I think it's wrong to simply say that it's just a product of the times.  Anyway, just my $0.02.

Quote:In his 1898 "Social Catechism", Dehon wrote that Jews "have maintained their hatred of Christ and... willingly favor all the enemies of the Church."

According to French newspaper reports from 2005, he described the Talmud as the "manual of the bandit, corruptor, social destroyer" and anti-Semitism as a "sign of hope".
"Whoever is not with me is against me, and whoever does not gather with me scatters." - Luke 11:23

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk