Did I Commit a Mortal Sin? Passive Participation in Drug Use
[Today's Sin]
Earlier today I was visiting some associates to play music.  At one point in the evening we took a smoke break.  During this time my associates began to pass around a bong.  When one person was trying to pass the bong to the person on the other side of me who was off in Narnia somewhere, I lost patience grabbed the bong from the first person and passed it to the second.
-These people are aware that I am Catholic and what my position on drug use(at the very least I committed scandal for this reason alone).

[Sin from that Past that would reoccur.  This doesn't happen anymore but I would like to reexamine it]
-I use to give someone a ride to their home and while driving(not in advance) they tell me to make a detour to buy a different type of recreational drug.  I would rationalize this saying to myself that they would get there any way and that it is not worth getting into long discussion over.
-Again, this person was aware that I am Catholic and what my position on drug use is.  This person was not addicted, it was for strictly recreational purposes, which I assume made my action even worse.

-My question is what kind of sin is committed in each situation?  Would the actions be mortal or veinal, and if so which?  I also ask that you would please explain your answers so that I have a better grasp on what occurred so that might prevent myself from justifying my actions in the future.  I want it to be known that I accept the obvious advice to detach my self from bad companionship in advance(this is a hard one and I am working on it).
(06-14-2015, 12:55 AM)MacPasquale Wrote: [Today's Sin]
Earlier today I was visiting some associates to play music.  At one point in the evening we took a smoke break.  During this time my associates began to pass around a bong.  When one person was trying to pass the bong to the person on the other side of me who was off in Narnia somewhere, I lost patience grabbed the bong from the first person and passed it to the second.
-These people are aware that I am Catholic and what my position on drug use(at the very least I committed scandal for this reason alone).

[Sin from that Past that would reoccur.  This doesn't happen anymore but I would like to reexamine it]
-I use to give someone a ride to their home and while driving(not in advance) they tell me to make a detour to buy a different type of recreational drug.  I would rationalize this saying to myself that they would get there any way and that it is not worth getting into long discussion over.
-Again, this person was aware that I am Catholic and what my position on drug use is.  This person was not addicted, it was for strictly recreational purposes, which I assume made my action even worse.

-My question is what kind of sin is committed in each situation?  Would the actions be mortal or veinal, and if so which?  I also ask that you would please explain your answers so that I have a better grasp on what occurred so that might prevent myself from justifying my actions in the future.  I want it to be known that I accept the obvious advice to detach my self from bad companionship in advance(this is a hard one and I am working on it).

You didn't commit any sin.
Best to air your concerns with a Priest. It's not good to entrust your eternal salvation in the hands of some anonymous posters who may or may not know what they're talking about.
I don't think passing a bong to people who are going to be smoking regardless would be sinful. No more then passing a bottle of whiskey to someone about to take a shot. But as the above poster said, ask a priest because us laymen are often times wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm fully aware that forums are not a great place to receive advice, I take the stuff with a grain of salt. To be honest, the main reason I posted the question is that I have not found much material on the subject of passive participation in sin.    When I wrote: "I also ask that you would please explain your answers so that I have a better grasp on what occurred so that might prevent myself from justifying my actions in the future" I was being sort of misleading, I was just trying to get people to give the reasons behind their answers.
If you didn't know it was a mortal sin it was not a mortal sin. I would be more worried with the company you keep rather than the situations you exposed: best to follow St. Thomas definition of friend: idem velle, idem nolle—love the same things, hate the same things. This might sound mean, but its actually rather profound if you think about it.

(06-14-2015, 06:52 PM)Renatus Frater Wrote: If you didn't know it was a mortal sin it was not a mortal sin. I would be more worried with the company you keep rather than the situations you exposed: best to follow St. Thomas definition of friend: idem velle, idem nolle—love the same things, hate the same things. This might sound mean, but its actually rather profound if you think about it.

It really is. Since Iv came back to the church and developed a Catholic worldview I can only really keep the company of about two friends (they arnt Catholic but are more aligned with my views) my other friends are secularists who's only hobby is drinking to excess any chance they get. It's difficult however to cut contact with them, they don't understand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was at a social event one time where they took out some recreational drugs to use. I left immediately.

I recommend giving the person a ride straight to their house and letting them get their won drugs. Under the drug seizure law you could lose your car even though you don't "partake" 
My question is what kind of sin is committed in each situation?  Would the actions be mortal or veinal, and if so which?  I also ask that you would please explain your answers so that I have a better grasp on what occurred so that might prevent myself from justifying my actions in the future.  I want it to be known that I accept the obvious advice to detach my self from bad companionship in advance(this is a hard one and I am working on it).

I would ask the priest in confession.