Question about a book?
So my dad just gave me Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance to read. I do quite enjoy philosophy but is there anything I need to be careful about when reading this? Has anyone read it? Is there any philosophical views in this book that oppose catholic teaching? (I ask because it's published by Bantom New Age Books which makes me question it)

God Bless   

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No, but I suggest go read the negative reviews on Amazon...see what they had to say. I know of the book, but I have never read it.

Considering the publisher, I would burn the book....who the publisher says a lot about a book...smart of you for pointing that out.

The church sadly no longer has a list of Forbidden Books, but most books would be on that list.

I skimmed through that book on a long flight once. From what I remember it was basically a bad combination of half digested Buddhist ideas and tepid self help twaddle. I doubt you would lose your soul reading it, but you would lose whatever time spent reading and I doubt any good would come of it. So I would suggest skipping it. You'd hardly be the first person to not read a book that was given to them.

(06-14-2015, 08:35 PM)MeanGene Wrote: I skimmed through that book on a long flight once. From what I remember it was basically a bad combination of half digested Buddhist ideas and tepid self help twaddle. I doubt you would lose your soul reading it, but you would lose whatever time spent reading and I doubt any good would come of it. So I would suggest skipping it. You'd hardly be the first person to not read a book that was given to them.

Yeah that's what I Have heard. It's basically a book about the metaphysics of quality from what I understand.

(06-14-2015, 07:38 PM)Texas Wrote: The church sadly no longer has a list of Forbidden Books, but most books would be on that list.

Actually, to get on the Index Librorum Prohibitorum, a book had to be heretical, blasphemous, or obscene. Even that could be broadly construed. For instance, Marx, Darwin, Aristophanes and D.H. Lawrence were not on it. I've never read Pirsig's book, but from what I have read and heard of it, I find it highly doubtful that it would have been on the index.

I would think that any mature Catholic could read it without danger to his Faith.
Is the book about Xen Buddhism or motorcycle maintenance?

(06-15-2015, 05:31 AM)Poche Wrote: Is the book about Xen Buddhism or motorcycle maintenance?

Neither, it's a play on a title of another book. The book is about a man going on a motorcycle trip with his son and it's all about him exploring the metaphysics of quality. Idk, as someone who has read Aristotle and Plato, it seems cheap and shallow to me.

If you've read Aristotle and Plato, you're smart enough to adequately sift the good from the bad. ;)
(06-15-2015, 05:41 AM)DeoDuce Wrote:
(06-15-2015, 05:31 AM)Poche Wrote: Is the book about Xen Buddhism or motorcycle maintenance?

Neither, it's a play on a title of another book. The book is about a man going on a motorcycle trip with his son and it's all about him exploring the metaphysics of quality. Idk, as someone who has read Aristotle and Plato, it seems cheap and shallow to me.

If it is fiction then why worry about it? You know the difference between fact and fiction.