Should the two "Catholic" justices who voted for gay marriage be excommunicated?
(06-27-2015, 07:13 PM)Clare Brigid Wrote: Are you certain that they are unfaithful Catholics?  It is the responsibility of the Supreme Court to "say what the law is."  Marbury v. Madison.

It was the Supreme Court that gave us Dred Scott and Plessy v. Ferguson, and it was that same body that later reversed itself.

I think we should all be honest with ourselves and stop talking about the "impartiality" of the Court.  In my opinion, and I'm a lawyer also, it's just utter nonsense.

The Supreme Court is just as political as the other two branches.  Anyone who thinks otherwise has not been paying attention.

Having worked for Federal judges for over two decades, I can attest to the idea that, when a judge wants to rule in a certain fashion, he/she will find a basis for doing so.

That's what "penumbras" are all about.

I think natural law can be incorporated into decisions in the method you outlined.  If we weren't able to do that, slavery would still be legal.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Should the two "Catholic" justices who voted for gay marriage be excommunicated? - by DJR - 07-03-2015, 03:37 PM