Anyone hear anything at Mass about the recent SCOTUS decision?
Just out of curiosity I'm interested in knowing just how many of you heard about the whole Gay marriage decision at Mass last Sunday.. I was not able to make it to any Sunday Mass this last week but I'm interested in knowing how it went down when it came time for the sermon or the announcements. Anyone hear anything remotely condemnatory? Any bishops you know of speak out against it,and I don't just mean the too little too late collective letter of the USCCB but individual bishops.

The only hint for me was a priest who was talking about the multitude of evils and the chaos of the modern world over the last week: terror attacks in Kuwait, Tunisia, France... "and a few things here in North America". That was it. He then went on to his point about how to maintain peace in these situations.

Maybe it's not so shocking here in Canada, since we've had fake marriage for 10 years now. I doubt most of our priests and homilists want to stir the pot much.  Blush
Well, since I'm not American I did not hear anything about it. But we have our own goings on here, the most recent is the forced teaching of gender theory in children's school (even after the senate banned this possibility).
The priests I usually have contact with were pretty furious and outspoken  Grin. Even a high ranking bishop member of the Bishop's Conference said something about it.

I guess the more society opposes the Church the more we will be seeing clergy taking more Catholic airs—in this sense maybe this ruling for you Americans was a blessing in disguise.

I happened to attend a Divine Liturgy that I occasionally, but not regularly, attend. The priest quotes from Justice Scalia's dissent. The whole homily wasn't about it, but the decision was mentioned, and mentioned in a negative light.
Luckily I did hear about it both on Friday when it happened as well as Saturday Vigil and finally on Sunday at a Latin Mass.

There was a priest who spoke heavily against the Supreme Court decision and stated that it was a horrible act against God and against the sanctity of marriage as a reflection of the Holy Trinity both because of their unity as well as because of their creative power the Holy Trinity in terms of bringing forth new life. He also quoted from the USCCB's statement (which was pretty good in my opinion) and he also quoted form the dissents of both Roberts and Scalia. (This was at a Novus Ordo only parish by the way)

Finally on Sunday a different priest talked about it and stated how in goes against the natural law and how most of the decision and the success of same sex marriage is due primarily to both Christianity failing to clearly express Christian morality and the nature of marriage, sex and the family, as well as many within the Church giving in to emotional threats by those opposed to what the Church teaches. (This was at a Latin Mass)
Yes, a large part of Father's sermon was about the recent S.C. decision.  Greek Catholic parish.  He said he would go to jail if being coerced to do something which the Church forbids.  I told him later that Catholics are not going to stand by idly and allow their priests to go to jail, if it comes to that. 

Politics often makes strange bedfellows.  In the turn of recent events, we may just end up allies with American Muslims, black pastors/congregations, and Fundamentalists.

Now Catholic priests are being publicly spat upon.  Perhaps a trip to the local mosque to explain to Muslim clerics how people like Hillary Clinton say Muslim beliefs MUST change, may be in order. 

Let "gays" start spitting on Muslim clerics and see what reaction they receive.
Since I couldn't make it to divine liturgy at my Byzantine Catholic parish this past weekend, I went to Mass (Ordinary Form) at my home parish. The deacon spoke of the SCOTUS ruling in the homily. I don't think he spoke in a condemnatory tone, but rather a disappointing tone and the fact that SCOTUS can't "re-define" marriage.

I honestly wonder what my pastor at the Byzantine parish thinks of the SCOTUS ruling, or if he'll even speak of it (he tends to avoid controversial modern issues). I might ask him.
The priest mentioined it briefly at the beginning of his homily and then he went on to talk about something else.
The priest at our parish spoke about the Gospel reading about Jesus healing the woman who suffered a hemorrhage and of Him reviving the twelve year old girl.  He linked both situations to the concept of equality.  He said something about how people who have a lot don't have in excess while people who have little don't lack.  This is contrary to the modern view of equality that claims that everyone should look the same, act the same, speak the same, think the same, and do the same things.  Then, he linked the Gospel and the concept of equality to the supreme court ruling, stating that gay "marriage" is contrary to how God has ordained marriage to be.  Then, he read a letter from our bishop, who was disappointed by the ruling and said that marriage is unchangeable and that the supreme court can't change it.

Here is the statement from our bishop:

"I am deeply saddened by the Supreme Court’s decision to require States to recognize same-sex marriages, because the opinion is based on the court’s belief that the culture has changed its views of marriage. This causes confusion among those who are faithful to the Gospel and erodes rights of persons in each State.

Regardless of the court’s decision, the nature of the human person and marriage remains unchanged and unchangeable. We will remain true and faithful to the Gospel and we will continue to call people to look deeply into the beauty and understanding of our theology of marriage.

Jesus taught that from the beginning marriage is the lifelong union of one man and one woman. We follow our Lord and will continue to teach and to act according to this truth. I join my brother bishops in encouraging the faithful to move forward with faith, hope, and love: faith in the unchanging truth about marriage, rooted in the immutable nature of the human person and confirmed by divine revelation; hope that these truths will once again prevail in our society, not only by their logic, but by their great beauty and manifest service to the common good; and love for all our neighbors, even those who disagree with our faith and moral convictions. We intend to proclaim the goodness, truth, and beauty of marriage as rightly understood for millennia."
Wasn't mentioned where I went to Mass.