Trads, Orthodox, Conservstives, Neo-Cons
Can someone explain to me the different terminology I posted in the title? I see so many terms thrown around on these forums and there beginning to confuse me. I want be a true Catholic.

What's the difference between a...

neo-con Catholic (Iv heard these are people like EWTN and Catholic Answer Apologists) 

trad Catholic

Orthodox Catholic

conservative Catholic

(Obviously I know what a liberal Catholic is lol)

Some help would be appreciated.
God Bless

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Here's a thread on the whole neoCatholic thing:
http://www.fisheaters.com/forums/index.p...=3452667.0
I'd probably think of it as a "Church of Nice" Catholic.

Traditional Catholic is someone who follows all the precepts of the Church and prefers the traditional liturgy and devotions. Of course these come in all flavors.

I'd say that Conservative is similar to Traditional, but they go along with the modern liturgy and such.

Orthodox Catholic is a term that I don't think I've ever heard. I guess you can define it in the same way as Traditional or Conservative.
Orthodox Catholics can also refer to a schismatic group that broke off from the Orthodox and have titled themselves as such. There are 2 primary cores in North America & the Ukraine, from what I understand.
(07-06-2015, 01:38 PM)GangGreen Wrote: Here's a thread on the whole neoCatholic thing:
http://www.fisheaters.com/forums/index.p...=3452667.0
I'd probably think of it as a "Church of Nice" Catholic.

Traditional Catholic is someone who follows all the precepts of the Church and prefers the traditional liturgy and devotions. Of course these come in all flavors.

I'd say that Conservative is similar to Traditional, but they go along with the modern liturgy and such.

Orthodox Catholic is a term that I don't think I've ever heard. I guess you can define it in the same way as Traditional or Conservative.

"Orthodox Catholic" is usually someone who is a member of an Orthodox Church OR someone who is a member of an Eastern Rite Catholic Church that may have the word "Orthodox" in its official title.  An "orthodox Catholic" is usually someone who is a member of a church in communion with Rome who strictly adheres to and practices Catholic (as opposed to "Orthodox") doctrine and dogma.  Well, I think that's the case, anyway.... :Hmm: :grin:
This article is where I first heard the term and it was very informative:

http://www.remnantnewspaper.com/Archives...o-cats.htm
(07-06-2015, 01:55 PM)J Michael Wrote: "Orthodox Catholic" is usually someone who is a member of an Orthodox Church OR someone who is a member of an Eastern Rite Catholic Church that may have the word "Orthodox" in its official title.  An "orthodox Catholic" is usually someone who is a member of a church in communion with Rome who strictly adheres to and practices Catholic (as opposed to "Orthodox") doctrine and dogma.  Well, I think that's the case, anyway.... :Hmm: :grin:

The Orthodox Church in America used to be officially known as the Russian Orthodox Greek Catholic Church in North America. :)
Okay so if JPII was such a poor Pope then how did he become a saint? I'm confused there seems to be some hatred of JP2 by Trads? (Honest question not trying to be a shit starter but understand I was raised in a liberal catholic/not so catholic home, was reverted by Neo-Cats and now am drawn to Traditional Catholicism so I'm trying to figure this all out) 

(07-06-2015, 03:33 PM)DeoDuce Wrote: Okay so if JPII was such a poor Pope then how did he become a saint? I'm confused there seems to be some hatred of JP2 by Trads? (Honest question not trying to be a sh** starter but understand I was raised in a liberal catholic/not so catholic home, was reverted by Neo-Cats and now am drawn to Traditional Catholicism so I'm trying to figure this all out) 

Just my two cents, it's the same reason that John McCain gets heat from the Old Right in the US, but is universally loved by neo-cons: they both would take ten steps to the left/liberal side and then do something "traditional" to take the heat off.  Look at the events surrounding Assisi, for example. JPII was a lot like Pope Francis in that respect. 

Why was he declared a saint? IMHO, to canonize the Spirit of V2 via proxy.  Note that I'm not saying that he isn't a saint. Roma locuta est, causa finita est.  The process just smacked of politics

(07-06-2015, 04:36 PM)dcmaccabees Wrote:
(07-06-2015, 03:33 PM)DeoDuce Wrote: Okay so if JPII was such a poor Pope then how did he become a saint? I'm confused there seems to be some hatred of JP2 by Trads? (Honest question not trying to be a sh** starter but understand I was raised in a liberal catholic/not so catholic home, was reverted by Neo-Cats and now am drawn to Traditional Catholicism so I'm trying to figure this all out) 

Just my two cents, it's the same reason that John McCain gets heat from the Old Right in the US, but is universally loved by neo-cons: they both would take ten steps to the left/liberal side and then do something "traditional" to take the heat off.  Look at the events surrounding Assisi, for example. JPII was a lot like Pope Francis in that respect. 

Why was he declared a saint? IMHO, to canonize the Spirit of V2 via proxy.  Note that I'm not saying that he isn't a saint. Roma locuta est, causa finita est.  The process just smacked of politics

Is canonization infallible? 

(07-06-2015, 04:45 PM)DeoDuce Wrote: Is canonization infallible? 

St Thomas Aquinas says it is

St Thomas Aquinas Quodlib. IX, a. 16 Wrote:Since the honour we pay the saints is in a certain sense a profession of faith, i.e., a belief in the glory of the Saints (quâ sanctorum gloriam credimus) we must piously believe that in this matter also the judgment of the Church is not liable to error.