The Lord’s Prayer During Mass: Should We Hold Hands? Or Raise Them in the Air?
(07-07-2015, 06:18 PM)Heorot Wrote: In the Novus Ordo, the priest sits imperiously on his chair (very often elevated behind the freestanding altar, in the place of the old high altar), smiling and presiding over the assembly. I get a very Chesire-Cat-like feeling from it sometimes.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels this way. The throne-like priest chairs combined with versus populo orientation gives the impression of a king, lecturer, or cooking show host rather than a humble priest leading us to Christ. It's interesting that in my experience, a cult of personality centered on the priest seems to occur more often in NO parishes than EF parishes. Maybe parish life tends to follow after the meaning of our gestures in the liturgy?

(07-07-2015, 06:18 PM)Heorot Wrote: How about everyone uniformly prays orans?  :grin:

Sorry, I have a bit of a thing about this... I do love a proper orans, and seeing the whole church filled with hearts and hands lifted to God in the ancient eastern rites is so very beautiful.

I wish I felt this way about praying orans, but all the charismaticism I was exposed to as a kid from Evangelicals kind of ruined it for me. Where I come from we are surrounded by Protestant communities where people weep, dance, "prophesy," and "speak in tongues" with their hands in the air. Even in less boisterous places, you're considered spiritually dead if you don't have your arms in the air in a sort of trance. I think most people here, Catholics included, associate the orans position more with this charismatic culture rather than anything anciently, beautifully Catholic.

Because of this cultural context, I'd have to agree with Vox that here it makes more sense to make as many distinctions as possible between priest's work and laity's work. We are so saturated with a kind of Protestantism here where everyone is their own prophet, I think it's more beneficial to avoid things in the mass that have a Protestant connotation in our local culture. But then again, maybe I've never seen a proper, reverent orans. Sure, it's universal at NO mass here, but there's a good number of people who get this charismatic expression of ecstasy when they do it. It's awkward, but I guess I shouldn't be looking around anyway.

Another thing I don't like about it here is how offended some people get if you don't want to hold their hand. To me, that confirms that it has more social meaning than spiritual meaning to some.

(07-07-2015, 06:36 PM)formerbuddhist Wrote: 6. The Novus Ordo Sign of Peace, a messy affair that is disrespectful after the Consecration

This bothers me a lot too. In all practicality, it's more jarring and disruptive than communal hand-holding/raising during the Our Father. There are two reasons why I don't avoid doing this too; it's actually in the rubric (if I'm not mistaken), and people would be even more distracted from the mass and offended if I ignored their handshake.

If we must share a sign of peace, I'd prefer copying the Maronite Catholic way. It's more orderly, quiet, and reverent than the current "meet, greet, and kiss" that we have.
I don't like the raising of hands because it reminds me of a Muslim form of piety. But, hey, whatever floats your boat!