Marching Season
(07-11-2015, 05:18 PM)FleetingShadow Wrote: The Pope actually supported William of Orange.

I can't comment on whether Talmudist bankers contributed to the Williamite cause, but it is generally accepted that the Papacy did. The reason was geopolitical of course - fear of French power.

I am aware of that and it's geopolitical nature. I've always found it amusing, because the Holy See did not withdraw recognition from the Stuarts as Kings of England, Scotland and Ireland until the death of the Old Pretender (King James III&VIII de jure) on 1 January 1766. He is, in fact, buried in the Crypt of St Peter's Basilica.

When he died, the exchange of correspondence between his second son, HE&RH Henry, Cardinal-Duke of York and the Holy See is interesting. Henry was an influential Cardinal in Rome and pleaded for the Holy See to recognise his brother, the Young Pretender a/k/a Bonnie Prince Charlie, as King, which it refused to do.

If anyone's interested, I can post it.
(07-11-2015, 05:47 PM)jovan66102 Wrote:
(07-11-2015, 05:18 PM)FleetingShadow Wrote: The Pope actually supported William of Orange.

I can't comment on whether Talmudist bankers contributed to the Williamite cause, but it is generally accepted that the Papacy did. The reason was geopolitical of course - fear of French power.

I am aware of that and it's geopolitical nature. I've always found it amusing, because the Holy See did not withdraw recognition from the Stuarts as Kings of England, Scotland and Ireland until the death of the Old Pretender (King James III&VIII de jure) on 1 January 1766. He is, in fact, buried in the Crypt of St Peter's Basilica.

When he died, the exchange of correspondence between his second son, HE&RH Henry, Cardinal-Duke of York and the Holy See is interesting. Henry was an influential Cardinal in Rome and pleaded for the Holy See to recognise his brother, the Young Pretender a/k/a Bonnie Prince Charlie, as King, which it refused to do.

If anyone's interested, I can post it.

If it's not too much trouble for you, I'd love to read it!

Must admit I didn't know James III&VIII is buried in St Peters basilica. How fascinating! Is his tomb visible to the public? I will have to visit it the next time I go to Rome.
(07-12-2015, 08:48 AM)FleetingShadow Wrote: If it's not too much trouble for you, I'd love to read it!

Here it is. There are really only two documents, a rather lengthy 'Memorial of the Cardinal Duke of York to Pope Clement XIII, 1766', written shortly after the death of the Old Pretender, and a terse, 'Response of the Holy See to the Cardinal Duke of York, January 14, 1766'. However, if you go to the site on which these are posted, http://jacobite.ca/, you will find many other documents and facts concerning the Jacobites.

Memorial of the Cardinal Duke of York to Pope Clement XIII, 1766
http://jacobite.ca/documents/17650000.htm

Response of the Holy See to the Cardinal Duke of York, January 14, 1766
http://jacobite.ca/documents/17660114.htm

As to whether the tomb is available in a public area, I honestly don't know.
Thanks jovan. Cool website!