Thoughts on possessing a first class relic for private devotion
I have long struggled with sins against purity. There is a first class relic of St. Maria Goretti at a parish within driving distance and I have found great benefit in kneeling before her relic and asking for her intercession. Unfortunately, the parish isn't close by and I am not able to go there as often as I would like.

I believe having a first class relic of her that I can pray before and ask for her intercession everyday would be very helpful for me. From my understanding, it used to be rather easy to acquire a first or second class relic from Rome or the saint's shrine. However, I was under the impression that in the last couple decades or so, the Vatican has discouraged personal ownership of first and second class relics and that they should only be owned by parishes so the relic can be venerated by more people.

I'm not planning on starting a collection of relics or anything like that. I love St. Maria Goretti and believe she can be a powerful intercessor to help overcome my unwanted sexual behaviors. Please share thoughts on acquiring a first class relic of her for my personal devotion and veneration.
Have you considered a 3rd class relic?  It will be considerably easier to acquire and will provide you with the same physical focus.
It is my understanding that Rome only gives 1st class relics to churches and clerics. As dcm said a 3rd class relic gives focus as well, but you might be able to get a 2nd class one if you write to the appropriate authority. However, since she was not a member of an Order, I have no idea who that would be and I'm quite sure her Postulator is long dead.
I would much prefer a first class relic of the saint and have a physical part of her to venerate. I know someone who has multiple first class relics, including one of St. Maria Goretti, and he is not a priest or religious or anything.

I've also heard that you can get a 1st class relic if you get permission from your local ordinary, so for me that would be my Bishop. Although she never belonged to a religious order, her spiritual formation was guided by the Passionists and is sometimes considered a Passionist saint.

My question wasn't really on how to acquire a relic, but whether it is acceptable for me to possess a first or second class relic.
(07-10-2015, 03:22 PM)Hamburglar Wrote: I would much prefer a first class relic of the saint and have a physical part of her to venerate. I know someone who has multiple first class relics, including one of St. Maria Goretti, and he is not a priest or religious or anything.

I've also heard that you can get a 1st class relic if you get permission from your local ordinary, so for me that would be my Bishop. Although she never belonged to a religious order, her spiritual formation was guided by the Passionists and is sometimes considered a Passionist saint.

My question wasn't really on how to acquire a relic, but whether it is acceptable for me to possess a first or second class relic.
If it is legitimately acquired, I see no problem with it.
I have a first class relic of St. Anthony (my Confirmation Saint) but without any certificate of authenticity unfortunately.  What moral qualm could a Catholic have over possessing a relic of a friend of God? Why worry your soul over such an useless question if you do not even know if you can obtain one? Try to find an approved and reputable source first, and remember NEVER pay for a relic. That's a sin for sure. I definitely suggest obtaining or making a third class first though which shouldn't be hard. You can even see if you can touch a piece of cloth to the first class you are currently venerating.