perfect contrition question
A person wants to confess yet can't. Then they are dying. Do they require perfect contrition? If so is it safe to just trust  God to give this grace, without presumption, because He wants us to be saved so much, and the person did intend to confess asap? Thank you :)
(07-14-2015, 11:17 PM)little_flower10 Wrote: A person wants to confess yet can't. Then they are dying. Do they require perfect contrition? If so is it safe to just trust  God to give this grace, without presumption, because He wants us to be saved so much, and the person did intend to confess asap? Thank you :)
I don't understand why this question is proposed. The letter of the law is the stuff of Lawyers, Scribes and Pharisees.

God "searches the mind and the heart" and He is the Judge.... why worry about the piffling, nit-picking, equivocations of lawyers?

God gives appropriate Grace to anyone that will have it.
(07-14-2015, 11:17 PM)little_flower10 Wrote: A person wants to confess yet can't. Then they are dying. Do they require perfect contrition?

Yes if they've committed mortal sin. I guess that's why you said they wanted to confess. There's also great value in confessing venial sins.

They're to make, to the best of their ability, an act of perfect contrition.

Quote:If so is it safe to just trust  God to give this grace, without presumption, because He wants us to be saved so much, and the person did intend to confess asap? Thank you :)

See this is the right of looking at it, as a grace God gives. I think most people who regularly pray, confess and go to mass have been given the gift of perfect contrition. Archbishop Fulton Sheen was of the opinion that perfect contrition (in those who regularly confessed) was very common.

In fact there's something weird about imagining God not helping a person who sincerely asks for mercy, even if their contrition in the beginning is only imperfect.

I think, this is my own hunch, that as long as we don't presume and start to use acts of perfect contrition to "excuse" our sins, or to live a life of debauchery with a quick death-bed conversion, I think we can reasonable hope to be aided in our need.

I always say an act of contrition after I sin gravely, and before going to bed.
Yes, you would need perfect contrition.  But to echo what Oldavid said, God is not playing a game of gotcha where sinners are lost due to a technicality.  He desires that sinners be saved.  In my opinion, I believe that if you are repentant and desire to confess, and make every reasonable effort to do so, God will either make sure you make it to confession before you die or grant you the grace of perfect contrition.
Thanks everyone! Makes sense..