Spare a Prayer for Henry of Huntingdon
I saw this making the rounds today. It's from Henry of Huntingdon, a twelfth century Anglo-Norman historian. Very poignant, and it certainly gives one a sense of perspective:

Quote:Now I speak to you who will be living in the third millennium, around the 135th year. Consider us, who at this moment seem to be renowned, because, miserable creatures, we think highly of ourselves. Reflect, I say on what has become of us. Tell me, I pray, what gain has it been to us to have been great or famous? We had no fame at all, except in God. For if we are famed now in Him, we shall still be famed in your time, as lords of heaven and earth, worthy of praise, with our Lord God, by the thousands of thousands who are in the heavens. I, who will already be dust in your time, have made mention of you in this book, so long before you are to be born, so that if--as my soul strongly desires--it shall come about that this book comes into your hands, I beg you, in the incomprehensible mercy of God, to pray for me, poor wretch. In the same way, may those who will walk with God in the fourth and fifth millennia pray and petition for you, if indeed mortal man survives so long.
:pray: :pray: :pray:
:pray: :pray:
Eternal memory! I also still pray for Cynewulf, the Anglo-Saxon poet, who asked for prayers for his soul in the coda of his poems.