Church Decline After Vatican II?
To Renatus: I like how you relate the role of the pastor with helping the local community (or more specifically church) understand the application to particulars. I also don't think the diversity is a particularly modern thing; I think it is a matter of prudence.

I don't know how good modernization is. I don't know enough about the history of modernization and its relationship to secularization to say anything about it. Maybe it is pessimism, but I can't help having a certain cautious feeling about it. Of course, I'm expressing that over the internet, through a computer, but my reliance on technology doesn't make me any more comfortable in its ubiquitous, dominating character.

I suppose I have a lingering suspicion that some divisions are due to matters of principle and not differences in the exercise of prudence or even differences of personality (toxic trad).

I meant faith and reason perhaps more specifically in terms of science and religion, which I group under faith and reason. The creationism movement seems to have a popular force to it in traditionalist circles, but I can't help but wonder if this is truly what tradition taught or whether it is a thoroughly modern reaction to exaggerations in aggressively ideological expositions of evolution and atheistic cosmology.

To Xan: I think the Catholic Church allows for both attitudes, one that submits to the mystery and one that inquires as far as reason can. When done properly, I don't think the pursuit of explanation diminishes mystery but heightens it. The doctors of the Church reveal this tendency, and all of them were mystics. Believe it or not, for most things, I am inclined to let it go, but certain topics my mind can't help but work over.

To Antonius: Yes, I agree. The lack of perspective is so characteristic of a modernist culture. Interestingly, where postmodernism (or rather ultramodernism) calls for a retrieval of history, this is usually simply for the purpose of deconstructing modern narratives and not because the perspective may challenge us to re-evaluate even the deconstructive impulse and return to older, traditional ways of living and thinking. It's the difference between the historian who makes himself the magisterium and the historian who finds edification in his knowledge of history amidst the current storms and crises.