Married gay man denied communion at mother's funeral
(07-29-2015, 11:14 PM)Credidi Propter Wrote:
(07-29-2015, 06:18 PM)formerbuddhist Wrote: Perhaps it's not frequency of Communion that's the main problem (although I still think it ought to be curbed until people are better catechized) but faulty Catechesis and the new theological focus of the Mass as a gathering around a table.

Exactly. The Mass is primarily a sacrifice. People point to the fact that the Last Supper was a communal meal. They seem to forget that the Last Supper wasn't just any meal. It was the Passover. This wasn't just some casual meal. This was a very important ritual- their most important ritual.  By focusing on the Mass as a "gathering around a table," people deny the supernatural reality of it.

Too true!!  One only has to witness the semi-chaotic gathering of numerous "eucharistic ministers" on the Sanctuary around the altar table for confirmation of your last sentence! :eyeroll: :(
(07-30-2015, 12:45 PM)J Michael Wrote:
(07-29-2015, 06:18 PM)formerbuddhist Wrote: Perhaps it's not frequency of Communion that's the main problem (although I still think it ought to be curbed until people are better catechized) but faulty Catechesis and the new theological focus of the Mass as a gathering around a table.

Exactly. The Mass is primarily a sacrifice. People point to the fact that the Last Supper was a communal meal. They seem to forget that the Last Supper wasn't just any meal. It was the Passover. This wasn't just some casual meal. This was a very important ritual- their most important ritual.  By focusing on the Mass as a "gathering around a table," people deny the supernatural reality of it.

Too true!!  One only has to witness the semi-chaotic gathering of numerous "eucharistic ministers" on the Sanctuary around the altar table for confirmation of your last sentence! :eyeroll: :(
When you see this stuff, you wonder, "Is this the Catholic Church?"
(07-30-2015, 12:52 PM)Papist Wrote:

Yes, I wonder that every time I'm there for Mass.  I then try to expel that thought and replace it with "Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner."  That helps me retain what little sanity I have left.
(07-30-2015, 01:09 PM)J Michael Wrote:
(07-30-2015, 12:52 PM)Papist Wrote:

Yes, I wonder that every time I'm there for Mass.  I then try to expel that thought and replace it with "Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner."  That helps me retain what little sanity I have left.
Yup!
This smells like a media circus frame-up. It's too similar to the lesbian media stunt from a couple years ago. These knuckleheads are activists. This is how they spend their time.