August 15, 2015
As we all (I think) know, most dioceses in the US abrogate the obligation to attend Mass both the Assumption (Aug 15) and Jan. 1 if they happen to fall on a Saturday or Monday. My question may be just me being scrupulous (and I can be VERY scrupulous at times), but does that include the obligation to refrain from unnecessary servile work, too? A lot of people like to get their chores done on Saturdays since they are working on weekdays. Since this year the Assumption falls on a Saturday, even if it is not a sin to not go to Mass, would doing chores and things like that, or doing major grocery/other shopping be permissible? My paycheck happens to land the day before.
IANA(Cannon)L, but Canon 1246, §2 seems to just remove the obligation to hear mass.
(08-03-2015, 03:05 PM)dcmaccabees Wrote: IANA(Cannon)L, but Canon 1246, §2 seems to just remove the obligation to hear mass.

That's what I was talking about.
Exactly, it doesn't remove anything else from the day.  However, my understanding is that doing what's necessary for life is excluded from prohibited servile work.  With that being the case, I'd say that purchasing what's needed to get you through the day wouldn't be sinful if you absolutely couldn't purchase it before hand.  Shopping for the week?  I'd be less certain about that...