Orthodox revelations
There are Eastern Orthodox monks and others who seemed to live lives of very mystical prayer.. They are named as Saints in Orthodoxy. Though they are not canonised by the Church, when the East and West reunites do you think they'd be accepted if they weren't saying stuff against the Papacy?

Question two... Some Orthodox people have had visions of Christ or revelations that don't seem to have anything against doctrine. They seemed to have received graces through this to love God more.  I mean let's say a person hasn't reached the point of understanding the Papacy yet but they even like the Catholic Church, they're just Orthodox cause they were baptised there. Let's say theyre just seeking to love God. Maybe in the future they'll understand about the Papacy. But non Catholics can have valid revelations too right? I mean it can even help them to come to Catholicism if God wishes, or give them graces to grow to help in their relationship with God and dispose them better..? Am I right that not only Catholics can have valid private revelations? This would seem to be the case if they can have graces of mystical prayer or gifts of healing etc.

I mean this is God's help and He wants to help everyone.. He can even use it to dispose them better to grow and help them come closer to the Church.. And these graces still come through the Church as graces do... Any thoughts?
Isn't visible membership in the Church a necessary condition for formal canonization?  It seems more likely to me that those entering the Church would have to accept only the feasts of their respective Eastern Catholic Churches.

I agree that God can give private revelations to whomever he chooses.  According to Fr. Garrigou-Lagrange (Three Ages, Life of Grace, p. 37), one need not even be in a state of grace, let alone a Catholic, to have certain kinds of spiritual gifts or manifestations.  But having genuine private revelations and the Church declaring them worthy of belief are two different things.
The Holy Spirit goes wehre He wills.
I'm curious about the economy of private revelations. Why none of these private revelations said schismatics to join the Catholic Church?

I admittedly know very little about the East, but its my understanding they don't have many miracles and miracle workers (so much so that they deride our miracle-filled West).

Interestingly, Pius XII allowed Eastern Catholics to pray to a few post-schism Orthodox saints.

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/foru...c=10863.10
(08-04-2015, 04:48 AM)PolishTrad Wrote: Interestingly, Pius XII allowed Eastern Catholics to pray to a few post-schism Orthodox saints.

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/foru...c=10863.10

That is interesting, and the conversation on that forum looks pretty lively. I'll continue to read it in my spare time.
(08-04-2015, 12:58 AM)Renatus Frater Wrote: I'm curious about the economy of private revelations. Why none of these private revelations said schismatics to join the Catholic Church?

I admittedly know very little about the East, but its my understanding they don't have many miracles and miracle workers (so much so that they deride our miracle-filled West).

That's funny that you should say that.  I have always thought the East to have more miracles, and seen the West to deride the miracles taking place in the East because they were afraid it was convincing Catholics that Orthodoxy was the true Church.  I mean, I guess numerically there are probably more miracles among Western Christians just because of the sheer numbers of adherents.  But I've always been under the impression that there are proportionately more miracles taking place in the East, since the East focuses more on the mystical.
(08-03-2015, 11:01 PM)Acolyte Wrote: Isn't visible membership in the Church a necessary condition for formal canonization?  It seems more likely to me that those entering the Church would have to accept only the feasts of their respective Eastern Catholic Churches.

I agree that God can give private revelations to whomever he chooses.  According to Fr. Garrigou-Lagrange (Three Ages, Life of Grace, p. 37), one need not even be in a state of grace, let alone a Catholic, to have certain kinds of spiritual gifts or manifestations.  But having genuine private revelations and the Church declaring them worthy of belief are two different things.

Interesting! Thanks!
(08-04-2015, 12:58 AM)Renatus Frater Wrote: I'm curious about the economy of private revelations. Why none of these private revelations said schismatics to join the Catholic Church?

I don't know but it doesn't seem to me like God says everything at once .. I mean I believe He is leading souls to the Church but maybe in a different way, maybe the miracles just dispose them better to Him and He waits till they are more ready?
(08-04-2015, 08:16 AM)Melkite Wrote:

That's funny that you should say that.  I have always thought the East to have more miracles, and seen the West to deride the miracles taking place in the East because they were afraid it was convincing Catholics that Orthodoxy was the true Church.  I mean, I guess numerically there are probably more miracles among Western Christians just because of the sheer numbers of adherents.  But I've always been under the impression that there are proportionately more miracles taking place in the East, since the East focuses more on the mystical.

Well, like I said, that might be just my lack of knowledge of what's going on in the East. But in every discussion about miracles here on FE the Easterners quotes Eastern clergy deriding [Western] miracles. On the other hand I don't see any Western downplaying miracles—except the usual people who don't even believe in Jesus.
Even in modernity we had some pretty amazing miracles, like Fatima, Pe. Pio, St. Charbel (this one was Maronite), the occasional Eucharistic miracles, etc.

I mean, it would be funny to go Old Testament on the schism dispute and resolve it by seeing who's God is more powerful :LOL: