Do identical twins have identical souls?
For some reason, I was thinking about this.  Just out of curiosity, do you think identical twins have identical souls?  I understand that each twin is a different individual with a soul of their own.  But if their DNA's the same, does it mean that the "DNA" of their souls are the same, too?  Their souls may change or grow over a lifetime, but do they start the same?  Weird question, I know, but please humor me.  Thanks.
My gut reaction would be "no". I don't know why.
Hum, I have a related question: if the principle of individuation is on matter how are disembodied (human) souls individual?
(08-14-2015, 12:00 AM)Renatus Frater Wrote: Hum, I have a related question: if the principle of individuation is on matter how are disembodied (human) souls individual?

Garrigou-Lagrange says:

"Reality, ch 28" Wrote:Since each individual human soul has an essential relation to its own individual body, it follows that, by this essential relation, the separated soul remains individualized, and hence has a natural desire for reunion with that body, a reunion which, so revelation tells us, will become fact by the resurrection of the body.

The identical twins issue is up in the air, but there are several possible explanations. One fundamental principle that we might accept is that there is a difference between genetic and ontological identity; while two individuals may be genetically identical, there is no logical necessity to suppose that they are ontologically identical as well.

A common response is to say that at the moment that the twin zygote asexually separates from the parent zygote, God infuses a new soul into the twin, and the other half maintains the original soul that was granted to the single parent zygote while losing some of its original matter to the twin. We could, if we want to go there, which maybe we don't, postulate that a similar metaphysical process occurs in cloning--some of the original genetic matter is taken to be informed by a new soul; thus while there is genetic identity, the ontological identity is different.
Well I guess that is why there is always an evil twin with a goatee since only one kid can get a soul.  Joking aside, I reckon if God knows all the hairs on our head, it stands to reason that God just simply knows if an egg is going to divide and create two instead of one and give souls to both children
(08-14-2015, 02:22 AM)AntoniusMaximus Wrote: Well I guess that is why there is always an evil twin with a goatee since only one kid can get a soul.  Joking aside, I reckon if God knows all the hairs on our head, it stands to reason that God just simply knows if an egg is going to divide and create two instead of one and give souls to both children

That makes the most sense to me.

We have to bear in mind, too, that just because they have identical genes, it doesn't mean they get expressed identically. I have identical twin cousins, they they look quite different (shape of face, etc, slightly different heights, etc) and have vastly different personalities and temperments. The fact that they are "identical" doesn't automatically mean the same, and I would assume that extends into the spiritual too.
There are also differences between twins in gene expression, differences in how the cells read the genome itself, which is underlyingly very, very similar but still not entirely identical.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/articl...exhibit-d/

Small physical differences between the twins might be due to genes switching on and off differently in the womb and thereafter.
I'm an identical twin. From what I've read in the Catechism thus far, there's good chance that my sister would go to hell if she today. Maybe this is why I have a very hard imagining that I could go to heaven. Unlike most people, I don't see twins as blessing, but as a curse. I wish I wasn't a twin, because I never appreciated my sister, and now we'll never ever be together again. It sucks. Why God, why?