Lay participation in pastoral care
A traditional Catholic friend was talking about 'prayer groups' among Catholics. This ties in to another question I had: Consider, these kinds of groups are popular among Charismatic Catholics.

It is common among Evangelicals for appointed lay persons to offer counselling to congregants, and sometimes this takes place in a group context. An Anglican acquaintance of mine attends the well-known London church Holy Trinity Bromton, whose minister established the Alpha course (not sure if this is known in the USA, but it has been big here). He says they have various groups that offer Christian and prayer based emotional issues, and there are a range of groups, for eating disorders, addictions, drug problems etc.. This is also the case in other Protestant churches. It appears, as a general trend, that among 'contemporary' conservative Evangelicals, lay people have an active role in spiritual based pastoral care.

The only Catholics I know who are involved in similar things are Charismatic Catholics. I wonder, are they doing something that mainstream Catholics should do? If not, then why? If so, then what limits should be observed?

I am someone who has had similar issues to the ones listed above, and I feel I would have benefited from some kind of spiritual based practical help, which is obviously only available within a faith based community. The thing is, there are no faith based communities who offer this who adhere specifically to traditional Catholicism. They are either evangelical or Charismatic Catholics.
I don't see a reason why Catholics shouldn't get together and pray together.  You could always start a group that meets to pray, say, Vespers together in front of the tabernacle, or that meets together for a silent holy hour after briefly speaking about everyone's intentions. Prayer in common is good. We need not try to fit everything into a box of " trad versus non trad" or whatever. We should be formed by our traditions but not stuck on them so much that we can't be creative within them. Even with the charismatic stuff it's not all bad. Charismatic stuff is right out of the book of Acts. It's not my thing but it is one approach.

As a Catholic who suffers from addiction issues it would be cool to have a group that meets together to fight this through prayer or fellowship.
How about a group that meets together and prays the rosary together?
(08-24-2015, 11:10 PM)Poche Wrote: How about a group that meets together and prays the rosary together?

That would be one option among many.
(08-24-2015, 07:13 PM)formerbuddhist Wrote: I don't see a reason why Catholics shouldn't get together and pray together.  You could always start a group that meets to pray, say, Vespers together in front of the tabernacle, or that meets together for a silent holy hour after briefly speaking about everyone's intentions. Prayer in common is good. We need not try to fit everything into a box of " trad versus non trad" or whatever. We should be formed by our traditions but not stuck on them so much that we can't be creative within them. Even with the charismatic stuff it's not all bad. Charismatic stuff is right out of the book of Acts. It's not my thing but it is one approach.

As a Catholic who suffers from addiction issues it would be cool to have a group that meets together to fight this through prayer or fellowship.

Are you familiar with this site, FB?  Or the the Calix Society?
(08-25-2015, 04:14 PM)J Michael Wrote:
(08-24-2015, 07:13 PM)formerbuddhist Wrote: I don't see a reason why Catholics shouldn't get together and pray together.  You could always start a group that meets to pray, say, Vespers together in front of the tabernacle, or that meets together for a silent holy hour after briefly speaking about everyone's intentions. Prayer in common is good. We need not try to fit everything into a box of " trad versus non trad" or whatever. We should be formed by our traditions but not stuck on them so much that we can't be creative within them. Even with the charismatic stuff it's not all bad. Charismatic stuff is right out of the book of Acts. It's not my thing but it is one approach.

Thanks for those links JMichael, I'll definitely check both out. Some years back I was going to St. John of Shanghai monastery in California for a retreat with Archimandrite Melitos Webber who deals with additions and even wrote a book on Orthodoxy and the 12 Steps but I missed my flight and that was that.

Half my life I've been an addict so it's more a lifestyle for me that I don't even have to think about anymore, it just is. I hate to say it but I don't know how to live without opiates. Been thinking of getting on Suboxone or something but I'm  afraid of just going from one addiction to another and I'm  and afraid of going through withdrawls. I do have health insurance and a Suboxone clinic right here in town.

I'm a functioning addict but an addict nonetheless.  At any rate those links and the prayers are appreciated.  :)
(08-26-2015, 05:17 PM)formerbuddhist Wrote:
(08-25-2015, 04:14 PM)J Michael Wrote:

Thanks for those links JMichael, I'll definitely check both out. Some years back I was going to St. John of Shanghai monastery in California for a retreat with Archimandrite Melitos Webber who deals with additions and even wrote a book on Orthodoxy and the 12 Steps but I missed my flight and that was that.

Half my life I've been an addict so it's more a lifestyle for me that I don't even have to think about anymore, it just is. I hate to say it but I don't know how to live without opiates. Been thinking of getting on Suboxone or something but I'm  afraid of just going from one addiction to another and I'm  and afraid of going through withdrawls. I do have health insurance and a Suboxone clinic right here in town.

I'm a functioning addict but an addict nonetheless.  At any rate those links and the prayers are appreciated.  :)

Sorry to hear about your struggles with addiction.  I've felt the heat of that particular demon but by the grace of God and a lot of help from my Guardian Angel (I can ONLY attribute it to that), the fire hasn't consumed me.  So, while not an addict I'm all-too-familiar with addiction and what it can do.  Yes, you will remain in my prayers.

Please do let me know, either on this thread or via p.m. how you get on and if those links are useful to you or not.

I have both of Fr. Webber's books and think very highly of him.

I would LOVE to see trads form such groups, whether for traditional-style prayer, such as the Rosary, etc., or for informal, "in-your-own-words" prayer (or, best of all, both!).

I'd also love for Catholics to form groups for the study of Scripture if led by an orthodox priest or a layperson who's been deemed able to handle the task by such a priest.  While the study of Scripture isn't a necessity, and while it can actually be dangerous if it's not done with the mind of the Church (!!!), Scripture is a treasure trove of wonders -- and it'd behoove us to have a better understanding of it than Prots do so they can't play that Protestant Bible Verse Gotcha Game they're wont to engage in.

I'd love to see trads form groups to engage in the Corporal Acts of Mercy as well.

I want laymen OUT of the sanctuary and away from the altar, and I want the Mass to be TLM all the way -- but I think laypeople should use the gifts God's given them, go out and evangelize the world, and feed the hungry, clothe the naked, tend to the sick, etc. While "ministry" might be an apt name for such an endeavor strictly speaking, I'd prefer that it not be used since we have such a confusion between the lay and clerical states lately. I think we need to restore the perceived dignity of the priesthood.