Original Douay-Rheims Bible
Just in case anyone is interested, I recently discovered that the original Douay-Rheims bible (pre-Challoner revisions) was located on archive.org, and so I made a page linking to every chapter of that particular Bible individually (to make it easier to navigate). 

http://catholicresourcepage.blogspot.com...e-pre.html
There used to be a blog set up by the guy that does this....http://michael-demers.blogspot.com/2015/08/22nd-week-in-ordinary-time.html  that was the psalter from that original Douay Rheims bible but he kept closing down the site and reopening it until it disappeared. It was awesome though. The big difference was that in places where it said something about God and His Annointed, " annointed" would be translated as Christ. After seeing this I'd take white out to my Monastic Diurnal and put Christ instead of Annointed.

I've always wanted to get a copy of this bible, but especially the New Testament and psalms. Boy I wish that guy would put up the psalm blog again.
(08-30-2015, 02:10 PM)formerbuddhist Wrote: The big difference was that in places where it said something about God and His Annointed, " annointed" would be translated as Christ. After seeing this I'd take white out to my Monastic Diurnal and put Christ instead of Annointed.

The Greek noun Χριστός (Christós) is a substantive taken from the verb χρίω (chrió) which means "to anoint with olive oil".

Thus Χριστός (Christós) is one who has been is anointed. It can mean anyone who has been anointed, but obviously means Jesus Christ in certain passages.

It is a calque (or loanword) from the Hebrew מָשִׁיחַ ‎(mashíaḥ). It should be immediately obvious from the transliteration this is our word "messiah".

Yet, not every Χριστός (Christós) is a reference to The Messias (Jesus Christ). Χριστός (Christós) or derivatives occur often in the Old Testament (Septuagint) in non-Messianic connotations such as Lv 4.5 and  2 Macc 1.10. Strong's Concordance gives at least 10 references in the Old Testament and only two are explicitly Messianic.