Confession Question?
How often should one need to go to confession.

Frankly, I think I'm addicted to the idea because I go two sometimes three times a week.

No, I haven't spoken to my husband about this, because I'm embarrassed.

Also, if I put this in the wrong area please move it.  Smile
Well, I've never heard of a fixed number of how many times a person should need to go to confession. If you're falling into mortal sin that often you should go to confession that often also. Most confessors say to not wait too long if you commit a mortal sin.
If you're just committing venial sin you don't need to go that often, maybe once a week. Remember venial sins are remitted at Mass and you can take communion.
(09-08-2015, 06:07 PM)Renatus Frater Wrote: Well, I've never heard of a fixed number of how many times a person should need to go to confession. If you're falling into mortal sin that often you should go to confession that often also. Most confessors say to not wait too long if you commit a mortal sin.
If you're just committing venial sin you don't need to go that often, maybe once a week. Remember venial sins are remitted at Mass and you can take communion.

It depends on what you need.  I find that many Catholic spiritual writers recommend frequent confession, and then they clarify that by suggesting "once a month."  I've only gone that long or longer two or three times since I became Catholic, and I was having some serious problems by the time I got to t hat point.  Everyone is different, so perhaps others can go that long and be just fine.  It wasn't enough for me though.  Personally, I recommend going at least once a month, and up to once a week.  If you have the opportunity to go more frequently than that, it can be helpful but at that point you need to be very careful to avoid scrupulosity.  I don't recommend going more than once a week unless you have the permission of a confessor who knows you well.
(09-08-2015, 07:02 PM)Credidi Propter Wrote:
(09-08-2015, 06:07 PM)Renatus Frater Wrote: Well, I've never heard of a fixed number of how many times a person should need to go to confession. If you're falling into mortal sin that often you should go to confession that often also. Most confessors say to not wait too long if you commit a mortal sin.

It depends on what you need.  I find that many Catholic spiritual writers recommend frequent confession, and then they clarify that by suggesting "once a month."  I've only gone that long or longer two or three times since I became Catholic, and I was having some serious problems by the time I got to t hat point.  Everyone is different, so perhaps others can go that long and be just fine.  It wasn't enough for me though.  Personally, I recommend going at least once a month, and up to once a week.  If you have the opportunity to go more frequently than that, it can be helpful but at that point you need to be very careful to avoid scrupulosity.  I don't recommend going more than once a week unless you have the permission of a confessor who knows you well.

Oh goodness, I didn't know I needed permission!  They're not mortal sins, more run-of-the-mill, because I lack patience, especially with my children.  I raise my voice about stupid things I shouldn't be troubled about at all.

I feel I shouldn't do that, which is why I've been going to confession.  Unsure
I think that if you only have venial sins, you should probably go once a week at most, and choose a regular confessor.
I used to go once or twice per week; my schedule only permits once every other week now.  So long as one avoids scrupulosity, I've found it to be greatly beneficial!
If you go to confession 2 to 3 times a week without having a mortal sin i would suggest you get a spiritual director you might be scrupoulous
(09-08-2015, 09:14 PM)salus Wrote: If you go to confession 2 to 3 times a week without having a mortal sin i would suggest you get a spiritual director you might be scrupoulous

sad that's a bad thing.  I didn't mean to do that.

I finally spoke to my husband about it.
I'm not sure one needs permission to go more than once a week to confession--at least I never heard of this--especially if the person has fallen into mortal sin twice the week. That's not impossible: one day the person might envy someone and the other day the person might get angry with grandma and disrespect her. One thing I've always heard was that one should go to confession as soon as possible if one has fallen into mortal sin, for all sorts of reasons. (of course, if one finds oneself going too frequently, one should think if he is really sorry for the sins and not abusing the sacrament).

Of course, a good spiritual director would be good, but as Clare even said somewhere else, its hard to find.
Unless one is in mortal sin, I see no reason to go more often than every two weeks in order to receive any possible plenary indulgences (other conditions being fulfilled). That said, I once went twice in one day. I had confessed before Mass (NO) and by the time Communion came, I was sinfully angry at the abuses that had taken place. I didn't Receive, and I went to Confession immediately after Mass. It was to the Celebrant of the Mass who had heard my first Confession. It didn't seem to cut down on abuses. And, before someone jumps me, at that time, in that place, there was no option of a TLM or a Divine Liturgy.