Conservative Group Blasts the Pope: "Paganism" Has "Entered the Church"

From News360:

https://youtu.be/QONDF6kfTBU

Conservative Group Blasts the Pope: "Paganism" Has "Entered the Church"
A leading climate skeptic organization is worried that "pagan forms are returning to the Church."

By Jeremy Schulman
Fri Sep. 18, 2015 2:49 PM EDT

A leading group of climate change skeptics is concerned that paganism is creeping into the Catholic Church. That was the message delivered by Gene Koprowski, director of marketing at the Chicago-based Heartland Institute, at a press conference in Philadelphia Thursday.

The event, which Heartland had billed as a challenge to Pope Francis' "views on global warming and the nature of capitalism," was recorded by the liberal group American Bridge. Talking Points Memo first reported on the video Friday. You can watch an excerpt above.

The pope, who is visiting the United States next week, has called on policymakers to take action to control climate change and has criticized the excesses of free market capitalism. According to Koprowski, when Heartland staffers first began reading news stories about the pope speaking out on climate, they were "shocked that the pope was buying into this left-wing political craze that is global warming." So in April, Heartland sent a delegation of climate skeptics to Rome to offer a "prebuttal" to a Vatican climate summit in an attempt to change the pope's mind.

"When the Vatican leapt into the controversy on climate science, we were initially under the impression that His Holiness was a victim of bad advice from bad advisers," Koprowski said Thursday. "There were people from the UN who were population control advocates. There were people from other left-wing groups who were advising the pontiff."

But Koprowski said that after the pope released his landmark encyclical calling for action on climate change, he began to suspect that "something more may be afoot." Koprowski then invoked pagan rituals and "nature worship" that he said were "seeping into the Church" during the Middle Ages, adding: "I'm wondering, as a scholar, if pagan forms are returning to the Church this day."

Koprowski concluded: "I would say, contrary to some of the criticism, that this is not communism that has entered the church. It's, rather, paganism."

Heartland and Koprowski did not immediately respond to requests for comment.
"The Earth is Cooling and anyway Global Warming is caused by the sun." - Second Dogma of the US Conservatives.
What on Earth is this man talking about? The pope is bringing back carnivals and mardi gras through the encyclical and this is turning the Church pagan?  Huh?

Maybe its lacking context, but it has been a very long time that I haven't read such a disconnected discourse.
The LORD God took the man and put him in the garden of Eden to till it and keep it.

Genesis 2:15

The real issue is that Modernism has run rampant in the Church since 1962, a truth totally lost on neo-Conservative Catholics. I am weary of their superficiality and fanaticism for an issue [climate change] which appears to me, relatively speaking, to be a triviality.

I wonder, is the Church any more than a political movement for these people?
The Republicaths are really showing their true colors during this papacy (the Democaths have been "out" for a while): they're most upset by two of the things where there is no difference between Francis and his predecessors--the critique of capitalism and concern for stewardship of the environment (which the congressman in the other thread ignorantly said made global warming a dogma).  It is the violation of Republican political dogma that is problematic for them.

The Church is not the great defender of capitalism.  As Archbishop Sheen said (notice the last misconception he gives, which he says would be a legitimate reason to oppose the Church):

Archbishop Fulton Sheen Wrote:There are not over a hundred people in the United States who hate the Catholic Church. There are millions, however, who hate what they wrongly believe to be the Catholic Church - which is, of course, quite a different thing. These millions can hardly be blamed for hating Catholics because Catholics "adore statues"; because they "put the Blessed Mother on the same level with God"; because they say "indulgence is a permission to commit sin"; because the Pope "is a Fascist"; because the "Church is the defender of Capitalism." If the Church taught or believed any one of these things it should be hated, but the fact is that the Church does not believe nor teach any one of them. It follows then that the hatred of the millions is directed against error and not against truth. As a matter of fact, if we Catholics believed all of the untruths and lies which were said against the Church, we probably would hate the Church a thousand times more than they do.
http://www.radioreplies.info/vol-1-preface.php

Anyway, I think political dogma has replaced religious dogma, which shows a lack of supernatural faith.  I think Cardinal de Lubac summed it up well:

Henri de Lubac, Paradoxes of Faith Wrote:If heretics no longer horrify us today, as they once did our forefathers, is it certain that it is because there is more charity in our hearts? Or would it not too often be, perhaps, without our daring to say so, because the bone of contention, that is to say, the very substance of our faith, no longer interests us? Men of too familiar and too passive a faith, perhaps for us dogmas are no longer the Mystery on which we live, the Mystery which is to be accomplished in us. Consequently then, heresy no longer shocks us; at least, it no longer convulses us like something trying to tear the soul of our souls away from us.... And that is why we have no trouble in being kind to heretics, and no repugnance in rubbing shoulders with them.

In reality, bias against ‘heretics’ is felt today just as it used to be. Many give way to it as much as their forefathers used to do. Only, they have turned it against political adversaries. Those are the only ones with whom they refuse to mix. Sectarianism has only changed its object and taken other forms, because the vital interest has shifted. Should we dare to say that this shifting is progress?

It is not always charity, alas, which has grown greater, or which has become more enlightened: it is often faith, the taste for the things of eternity, which has grown less. Injustice and violence are still reigning; but they are now in the service of degraded passions.
There's this false Protestant type of notion that capitalism and certain other "conservative" political thoughts are as Christian as can be. Personally, while I do think capitalism can be the best market system, it's vastly abused in today's world. Capitalism requires people of good will to be at the top of the economic "food chain." When those in power are greedy and abuse those not in power, it becomes garbage.  Either way, both sides, Republican or Democrat are not Catholic parties. Both push evil into the world. Maybe one less so than other. Either way, they both stink.

(09-21-2015, 10:33 AM)GangGreen Wrote: There's this false Protestant type of notion that capitalism and certain other "conservative" political thoughts are as Christian as can be. Personally, while I do think capitalism can be the best market system, it's vastly abused in today's world. Capitalism requires people of good will to be at the top of the economic "food chain." When those in power are greedy and abuse those not in power, it becomes garbage.  Either way, both sides, Republican or Democrat are not Catholic parties. Both push evil into the world. Maybe one less so than other. Either way, they both stink.

The thing the bothers me the most about Capitalism and  Consumerism is the amount of stuff. I went to the store yesterday and they had 20 different variations of Bologna. It drives me insane. I'm all for some choice in products but when it reaches the point where they just make stuff to make stuff it get ridiculous. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
(09-21-2015, 11:43 AM)DeoDuce Wrote:
(09-21-2015, 10:33 AM)GangGreen Wrote: There's this false Protestant type of notion that capitalism and certain other "conservative" political thoughts are as Christian as can be. Personally, while I do think capitalism can be the best market system, it's vastly abused in today's world. Capitalism requires people of good will to be at the top of the economic "food chain." When those in power are greedy and abuse those not in power, it becomes garbage.  Either way, both sides, Republican or Democrat are not Catholic parties. Both push evil into the world. Maybe one less so than other. Either way, they both stink.

The thing the bothers me the most about Capitalism and  Consumerism is the amount of stuff. I went to the store yesterday and they had 20 different variations of Bologna. It drives me insane. I'm all for some choice in products but when it reaches the point where they just make stuff to make stuff it get ridiculous. 

What's a Bologna?

The variation of things is the least problematic thing about capitalism, and its actually traditional—I mean, one can be lost for years on the world of traditional cheese, or sausages, not to mention wine.

(09-21-2015, 02:35 PM)Renatus Frater Wrote:
(09-21-2015, 11:43 AM)DeoDuce Wrote:

What's a Bologna?

The variation of things is the least problematic thing about capitalism, and its actually traditional—I mean, one can be lost for years on the world of traditional cheese, or sausages, not to mention wine.

Balony**. Well I mean you have different types of cheese and stuff im talking about the same thing but maybe it's cut different or "more" organic. Defiantly not the worst thing but it does annoy me lol