Pope says, "I am not a leftist."
“Maybe there’s an impression I’m a little bit more leftie, but I haven’t said a single thing that’s not in the social doctrine of the Church,” Pope Francis told reporters who accompanied him on a September 22 flight from Cuba to the US.

Questioned about the perception that he has led the Church into political controversy, the Pope denied the charge. “I follow the Church,” he said; “and in this, I do not think I am wrong.”

In response to a question about the US embargo on Cuba, the Pontiff said that he would not raise the question when he addresses the US Congress on September 24. He said that he hopes for an end to the embargo, but would not interfere with diplomatic talks now taking place between the two countries.

Asked about the arrest of Cuban political dissidents who had sought to meet him in Havana, Pope Francis said that he was not aware of the arrests when they took place. Responding to a follow-up question about what he might have said if he had met with them, he declined to answer directly. “I can’t deal in hypotheticals,” he said.

When a reporter questioned him about his private meeting with Fidel Castro, and asked whether the former dictator had expressed repentance, the Pope again demurred. “Repentance is something intimate,” he said. Pope Francis said that in his talks with the aging Castro, he did not speak about the past, other than talking with Castro about his experience with Jesuit educators.

The Pope conducted his question-and-answer session with reporters in Spanish and Italian. He admitted: “English isn’t my strong point.”

http://www.catholicculture.org/news/head...ryid=26200
Hey Poche,

Interesting article, are you familiar with the site Denzinger-Bergoglio? It is a site that studies Pope Francis' words in light of Magisterial teaching and is run by diocesan priests. While the CC article is interesting caption, the studies on Francis with respect to communism by DZ say some things that are a little different. The DZ article and link are contained below; interesting reading, you can draw your own conclusions. 

All I have to say is articles like the one you posted above along with studies like the one at DZ below in response are the reason I found myself befuddled by Francis. Note the original DZ article (copied below) contains 4 links to studies to support their opinion.

Is Francis a Communist?

September 23, 2015EN - Denzinger Bergoglio

On reading the affirmation that titles this post, many will remember that he always denied that he was. Without having to go too far, take for instance his recent interview on the flight to the United States after his trip to Cuba.

On the other hand, Francis has always criticized ideologies. Recently in Paraguay he affirmed: “Ideologies end badly, and are useless. They relate to people in ways that are either incomplete, unhealthy, or evil. Ideologies do not embrace a people. You just have to look at the last century. What was the result of ideologies? Dictatorships, in every case.” (Meeting with Representatives of the Civil Society. Address of the Holy Father. León Condou Stadium, Colegio San José Asunción. Saturday, July 11, 2015).

Having declared that it was never right, he explained that communism helped him understand the Social Doctrine of the Church (sic.) and that the communists are Christians due to their concern towards the poor (See Study – 1)

Undoubtedly, in the “World Meeting of Popular Movements”, promoted by Francis himself, he does not blush in jostling with leaders who declare themselves openly Marxist-lenin-followers of the worst dictatorships in the last hundred years – and who openly support his doubtful initiatives (Study – 2)

Francis affirms that his thinking is not communist and he engages in underlining that which he has to follow, nothing else but the Social Doctrine of the Church. We have a concise study that helps to profound this point. Just a quick glance at some of his declarations and comparing them with the infallible Magisterium of the Church helps reach frightful conclusions. (See: Study-3, Study-4)

subscribed
Did the pope really said Communism helped him learn Catholic social doctrine? I think that pretty much sums up his formation (and of most Latin American clergy).

I think we can all agree that the pope is no brilliant theologian. And his apparent contempt for theology doesn't help either. Combine with this his Latin American liberation theology formation and this is what you get: someone who has a sinister admiration for communism (maybe in the same way some of us have for old paganism) and yet doesn't fully (thank God) drinks the kool aid.
I think I am  Huh?

Wow, Denzinger Bergoglio is interesting! While I pray for Bergoglio every day I dont know who he really is or what he stands for. . I really don't know what he believes or doesn't believe. He's got the ridiculous factor of a John Paul II without any of the erudition. At least JPII had some good encyclicals, Francis is just a goofball who is all over the place. He's the ridiculousness of post Vatican II Catholicism incarnate. The scary thing is people around the world look to this mans every word, and subtle gesture as coming from God Himself. Nuts!
(09-24-2015, 04:42 PM)Renatus Frater Wrote: Did the pope really said Communism helped him learn Catholic social doctrine? I think that pretty much sums up his formation (and of most Latin American clergy).

I think we can all agree that the pope is no brilliant theologian. And his apparent contempt for theology doesn't help either. Combine with this his Latin American liberation theology formation and this is what you get: someone who has a sinister admiration for communism (maybe in the same way some of us have for old paganism) and yet doesn't fully (thank God) drinks the kool aid.
And Islam helped me to remain faithful to the Catholic Faith. Also there are instances in which other non-Catholics while trying to explain their errors actually highlight what is true and good in the Catholic Faith.
(09-24-2015, 11:40 PM)Poche Wrote: And Islam helped me to remain faithful to the Catholic Faith. Also there are instances in which other non-Catholics while trying to explain their errors actually highlight what is true and good in the Catholic Faith.

Could you explain a little more?
(09-25-2015, 11:56 PM)introvert Wrote:
(09-24-2015, 11:40 PM)Poche Wrote: And Islam helped me to remain faithful to the Catholic Faith. Also there are instances in which other non-Catholics while trying to explain their errors actually highlight what is true and good in the Catholic Faith.

I see the moslems practice their faith and ask me about mine and I am inspired to be a better Catholic.
Smile Smile Smile
(09-25-2015, 11:56 PM)introvert Wrote:

I read an Orthodox Coptic posting about the papacy. What they said reaffirmed all that I know about the Pope and it gave me a greater insight into the importance and significacnce of the institution of the Papacy from a scriptural aspect.