Mafia Not Welcome
Persons convicted of Mafia-related crimes are not permitted to serve as godparents at baptisms or witnesses at marriages, the bishops of the southern Italian region of Calabria said in a new set of pastoral guidelines.

Persons convicted of such crimes are not permitted to carry statues in religious processions unless they have publicly repented of their deeds, the bishops added.

http://www.catholicculture.org/news/head...ryid=26179
I'm curious whether this applies in Sicily, where the Mafia is actually based, or whether it's just sloppy reporting by Catholic Culture. In Calabria, organised crime is run by the ‛Ndrangheta, which is hated by the Mafia, and the feeling is mutual. In Canada, there have been bloody wars between the two organisations.
(09-24-2015, 02:08 AM)jovan66102 Wrote: I'm curious whether this applies in Sicily, where the Mafia is actually based, or whether it's just sloppy reporting by Catholic Culture. In Calabria, organised crime is run by the ‛Ndrangheta, which is hated by the Mafia, and the feeling is mutual. In Canada, there have been bloody wars between the two organisations.

I think outside of Italy there's a tendency to think "Italian organized crime" = "Mafia"; I suppose "mafia" in English is used pretty loosely, since we apply it to many organized crime groups with an ethnic prefix: Russian mafia, etc. Still, good for the bishops for demanding that a public crime demands public repentance; I'm curious what the impetus for this was.
(09-24-2015, 03:22 AM)aquinas138 Wrote:
(09-24-2015, 02:08 AM)jovan66102 Wrote: I'm curious whether this applies in Sicily, where the Mafia is actually based, or whether it's just sloppy reporting by Catholic Culture. In Calabria, organised crime is run by the ‛Ndrangheta, which is hated by the Mafia, and the feeling is mutual. In Canada, there have been bloody wars between the two organisations.

I think outside of Italy there's a tendency to think "Italian organized crime" = "Mafia"; I suppose "mafia" in English is used pretty loosely, since we apply it to many organized crime groups with an ethnic prefix: Russian mafia, etc. Still, good for the bishops for demanding that a public crime demands public repentance; I'm curious what the impetus for this was.

I can think of a few other sins I wish they'd enforce this for....
(09-24-2015, 02:08 AM)jovan66102 Wrote: ...or whether it's just sloppy reporting by Catholic Culture.

Very likely. They're awful. There is a reason that sites links- just that site's links- are always broken on here.  Even CAF links work just fine in here and one of FishEaters' longest threads is the "banned from CAF" thread.
This technically applies only to the diocese in question. However I would think it would be obvious that someone working for organized crime would realize that their sinful lifestyle would disqualify them from being a godparent.
(09-24-2015, 10:50 AM)PrairieMom Wrote:
(09-24-2015, 03:22 AM)aquinas138 Wrote:

I can think of a few other sins I wish they'd enforce this for....

Yes, I'd like to see strong measures against this mafia also  >sad