Pope's Address to Congress - Video and Transcript
(09-25-2015, 11:24 PM)Christus_Vincit Wrote: The fact that he didn't explicitly condemn abortion and gay "marriage" is inexcusable, especially because he chose to explicitly condemn the death penalty.  His silence speaks volumes.  This pope knows EXACTLY what he is doing.  If I had been blindfolded and told to listen to that speech, there would have been no way for me to tell that the Vicar of Jesus Christ was speaking.  Shameful.

Agreed!! 

One thing, though...If I'd been blindfolded and had to listen to the speech without knowing who was speaking, I'd have fallen asleep within 5 minutes or less  Grin.  As Vox said...unbearable!
(09-26-2015, 01:45 PM)J Michael Wrote:
(09-25-2015, 11:24 PM)Christus_Vincit Wrote: The fact that he didn't explicitly condemn abortion and gay "marriage" is inexcusable, especially because he chose to explicitly condemn the death penalty.  His silence speaks volumes.  This pope knows EXACTLY what he is doing.  If I had been blindfolded and told to listen to that speech, there would have been no way for me to tell that the Vicar of Jesus Christ was speaking.  Shameful.

Agreed!! 

One thing, though...If I'd been blindfolded and had to listen to the speech without knowing who was speaking, I'd have fallen asleep within 5 minutes or less  Grin.  As Vox said...unbearable!

Brethren, let's be charitable, the Pope does not speak English, the fact that he has enunciated his speech in a passable English speaks volume.  He is much livelier when he speaks in Spanish or Italian.
(09-26-2015, 08:59 PM)Catholic-Booklady Wrote:

Agreed!! 

Brethren, let's be charitable, the Pope does not speak English, the fact that he has enunciated his speech in a passable English speaks volume.  He is much livelier when he speaks in Spanish or Italian.

I was being charitable.  I was speaking the truth in charity.  Grin

And, why would it be uncharitable to criticize him for not condemning abortion, gay marriage, etc.?  He could've done that in English just as "easily" as all the other things he spoke...in English.
(09-27-2015, 02:50 PM)J Michael Wrote:

Agreed!! 

And, why would it be uncharitable to criticize him for not condemning abortion, gay marriage, etc.?  He could've done that in English just as "easily" as all the other things he spoke...in English.
Brother,  I was referring to  the Holy Father's language skills.
I believe that Our Lord would prefer that we pray for our Pope, he needs all of our prayers.
(09-27-2015, 04:15 PM)Catholic-Booklady Wrote:

Agreed!! 

I believe that Our Lord would prefer that we pray for our Pope, he needs all of our prayers.

I, too, was referring to his language skills.  Look, if I were to try to give a speech these days in Hebrew and noticed people in my audience nodding off, I'd just have to laugh at myself.  And if someone else commented about how bad my Hebrew was (is, anymore) what reason would I or anyone else have to take any kind of offense?  What's uncharitable about speaking the truth, even bluntly,  about Frank's language skills?  As for prayers, well, that's true--he needs all our prayers.  As do all the rest of us need all our prayers! Smile
(09-27-2015, 04:47 PM)J Michael Wrote:
(09-27-2015, 04:15 PM)Catholic-Booklady Wrote:

Agreed!! 

I, too, was referring to his language skills.  Look, if I were to try to give a speech these days in Hebrew and noticed people in my audience nodding off, I'd just have to laugh at myself.  And if someone else commented about how bad my Hebrew was (is, anymore) what reason would I or anyone else have to take any kind of offense?  What's uncharitable about speaking the truth, even bluntly,  about Frank's language skills?  As for prayers, well, that's true--he needs all our prayers.  As do all the rest of us need all our prayers! Smile
Blessings to you, Brother, let us then pray for each other as well. 
(09-27-2015, 04:47 PM)J Michael Wrote: I, too, was referring to his language skills.  Look, if I were to try to give a speech these days in Hebrew and noticed people in my audience nodding off, I'd just have to laugh at myself.  And if someone else commented about how bad my Hebrew was (is, anymore) what reason would I or anyone else have to take any kind of offense?  What's uncharitable about speaking the truth, even bluntly,  about Frank's language skills?  As for prayers, well, that's true--he needs all our prayers.  As do all the rest of us need all our prayers! Smile

Are you seriously comparing your (or our) needs for prayer with that of the Holy Father? We are really not that important, the Pope, on the other hand, well, I don't think we can even imagine his temptations. One confessor once said to me to think on that and that our own failings are secret, while his are open for all the world.
(09-27-2015, 06:59 PM)Renatus Frater Wrote:
(09-27-2015, 04:47 PM)J Michael Wrote: I, too, was referring to his language skills.  Look, if I were to try to give a speech these days in Hebrew and noticed people in my audience nodding off, I'd just have to laugh at myself.  And if someone else commented about how bad my Hebrew was (is, anymore) what reason would I or anyone else have to take any kind of offense?  What's uncharitable about speaking the truth, even bluntly,  about Frank's language skills?  As for prayers, well, that's true--he needs all our prayers.  As do all the rest of us need all our prayers! Smile

Are you seriously comparing your (or our) needs for prayer with that of the Holy Father? We are really not that important, the Pope, on the other hand, well, I don't think we can even imagine his temptations. One confessor once said to me to think on that and that our own failings are secret, while his are open for all the world.

You know, I really hate it when people read into things that others, in this case I, write that just aren't there.  To be honest, though, I don't really know what his or your or our or their needs for prayer are other than those that are made known to me or us.  I just know that we ALL need them, and as many as we can get.  Would you dispute that??  As for the pope's failings being "open for all the world", well, that's as may be.  He did play some part in that happening, though, did he not?  Besides, we only see those that are made public, including those he puts out there all of his own accord.  What goes on with and inside him in private (whatever that consists of for him) is none of my business and I don't even want to know.

If I can't say that we all need prayers in the same breath or sentence that I say the pope needs prayers, then, my friend, something is dreadfully wrong.  If I had said that he doesn't need our prayers or that his need is somehow less than yours or mine or anyone else's, then you might have reason to critique me.  But...I didn't.

So you don't like when people read too much into your words or interpret in the worst possible way?  Hmmm...

So what if his failings are willed by him? Ours are to—we sin with our wills.

Anyway, I won't discuss this anymore. I'd just say that if the pope doesn't sound Catholic a bunch of people here on the forum doesn't sound Catholic either. There's simply no pudor when some of you talk about the pope.

(09-25-2015, 09:28 PM)Renatus Frater Wrote: This sure ain't no Bundestag address, with its fine points of political theory and theology, or Regensburg lecture, but I suppose it could be worse—the pope could go on and on about some leftist thing, but instead, sans his praise for religious liberty, its more or less Catholic social doctrine.

I guess you'd rather have the government submit to Pope Francis?  Smile