Religious Spirituality and Favorite Devotions?
I wanted to start a thread in which we could list and discuss the closest religious spiritualities and charisms that we feel closest to. It doesn't have to be 1 specific one but you can list several religious spiritualities that you feel drawn into while listing a particular predominant 1 that you think you feel drawn more into than the others. Similarly it would be great if you could list specific devotions that you often see yourself having recourse often when it comes to the spiritual life. Many times these devotions can be a byproduct of your orientation in regards to the specific religious spiritualities but that is not always the case.

That being said please list the specific spiritualities and religious charisms that you feel more drawn into and give a short description as to why you feel drawn into it and also explain perhaps what drew you into it to begin with. This is the same in regards to the devotions. It would also be nice if you could add a descriptive picture(s) in order to give a good illustration in regards to these two things.

I will start by saying that I really think that most of my spirituality comes from a combination of a Dominican and Norbertine spirituality. I also some bits of Jesuit, Franciscan and Carmelite spiritualities that I think play a lesser but still effective aspect in my interior and spiritual life. My favorite devotions are the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass, The Divine Office, The Rosary, Adoration before the Blessed Sacrament, the Sacred and Immaculate Hearts of Jesus and Mary, and lastly many approved Marian devotions in general.

I have always been drawn into a Dominican and Norbertine spirituality for many reasons. First and foremost the Dominican order is one of the first orders that I had ever head of besides the Franciscans due to the popularity of Saint Francis of Assisi. I fell in love with the Dominicans ever since I heard about them. I love the fact that they live in common just as most religious orders do. I also love their spirituality in general, which consists in both contemplation and preaching. The Rosary has always been a very powerful prayer for me and one of the first ones that I learned. Mary has always been an important person in my life and has defended and helped me in various cases. I really think that the Rosary is the #1 weapon of the Church. I have always loved contemplation in general and have had great fruits from it. I also love the fact that the Dominicans have always been a great defender of the Church against heretical ideas and I love to write and give talks about Holy Mother Church and Our Lady.

[Image: imageedit_5_3479590337_zps7cxbn1jk.jpg]

I also have a big Norbertine spirituality that I really think goes hand in hand with the Dominican spirituality. I came across the Norbertines because I live very close to Saint Michael's Abbey in California. I am surrounded by them and my spiritual director (Fr. Claude WIlliams O.Praem) is a Norbertine himself. Various Norbertines will actually tell you that Saint Dominican was a Norbertine at least in one point in his life or at least has a connection with them. The Norbertine are also great defenders of the Church and they are very liturgical, specifically the more traditional ones like Fr. Claude and others. The Mass is itself one of my favorite devotions as I listed above. The Norbertines are also generally penitential.

[Image: St%20Norbert%20with%20the%20Eucharist_zpswvoweped.jpg]

As stated I also have a hint of Franciscan, Jesuit and Carmelite spirituality. I have a devotee of the Brown Scapular of Mt. Carmel and I like to practice spiritual detachment as well as poverty as much as possible. Similarly I like traditional Jesuit spirituality as St. Ignatius intended it just as the Discernment of Spirits, the Spiritual Exercises and reflections on the two standards.

The Blessed Sacrament has been a tremendous source of graces for me and regardless of how busy my life is or how bombarded with temptations I am I often find myself spending good amount of time before the Blessed Sacrament and often try spend at least 1 hour a day as well as frequent visits to the Blessed Sacrament.

[Image: imageedit_7_3947694677_zps0qr4e2kp.jpg]

The Divine Office is something is a prayer and devotion that I have just started but have fallen in love with. I do the 1962 Office in Latin in order to be able to pray it publicly with the Church and those priests who use the 1962 Breviary. I often find myself at peace when I pray it and I often notice that my day goes by smoother and that my day is a lot more joyful regardless of the troubles of life.

http://i1313.photobucket.com/albums/t553...zv5v5g.jpg

One great devotion besides the Mass, and the Divine Office, that I have not touched upon is the Sacred and Immaculate Hearts of Jesus and Mary. This is also one of the first devotions besides the Rosary that I came across and I love it. It really helps me due to the fact that I suffer from scrupulosity and am prone to Despair and get occasional suicidal thoughts even though I don't actually act upon them. Nevertheless these devotions together with the Divine Mercy devotion help me to cope with depression and any thoughts of despair. These devotions and specifically the Sacred Heart one really played a big part in increasing the love of Jesus Christ that I have.

[Image: imageedit_3_9810980692_zpseobgv83z.jpg]

I am a Third Order Carmelite and I follow a mixture of Carmelite Spirituality and that of the French School. Of course, the French School was heavily influenced by the Carmelites after the introduction of the Order into France by Madame Acarie, later known in Religion as Sœur Marie de l'Incarnation, OCD.
I follow medieval lay spirituality (exemplified by the recitation of the Little Office in a Book of Hours) for some parts, some Benedictine spirituality (silent reading of the Bible or some other book that is of spiritual worth), some Dominican spirituality (study of Scholastic theology of Saint Thomas Aquinas and the Holy Rosary), and devotion to Saint Michael and Our Lady under her many titles.

N.
Benedictine Office and Scripture Reading a la Lectio Divina
The Jesus Prayer
Eastern Style Prayerbooks like Old Orthodox Prayerbook ( Old Believer Style) or Jordanville ( ROCOR)
Pre schism Western stuff like the saints of the British Isles,, Gaul etc.
Anything from the Old Believers and ancient to modern Slavic saints like the Optina Elders

I also have a fondness for some aspects of the Sacred Heart devotion like the Litany. I like Our Lady of Sorrows under the icon of Softener of Evil Hearts.
Occasional rosary, but mostly the Eastern Style O Virgin Mother of God Rejoice or the Akathist.
Prayers standing up, with frequent bows, signs of the cross and prostrations
I love the liturgical year, both the traditional Eastern and Western, but especially Western with a season like Advent.

I'm drawn to the Cistercians, especially St Bernard.
I love St. John of the Cross and something of Carmelite spirituality, especially their peculiar devotion to St. Elias.
The occasional recitation of the Little Office.
Chanting the Benedictine Office in Latin along with the hymns.
My signature is my summary. I've come to a focus on Our Lord and the Gospel. My teachers are Bl. Columba Marmion, Ruth Burrows (To Believe in Jesus) and Caryll Houselander.  I'm also exploring Ignatian spirituality, which is also Christocentric.
St. Therese - The Little Way
St. Louis de Montfort - the True Devotion to Mary, and
St. Alphonsus Liguori's books are a must for mental prayer, when I'm not being a lazy bum.
All of my favorite Saints are French. Well, at least most of them.
And St. Mary Magdelene is buried in France, so there.

Basically, I work all day so I say as much of the Rosary as I can and try to make at least 15 minutes mental prayer. I say the standard morning and evening vocal prayers, with some special ones.

Imitation of Christ is a must, and I like the Confraternity of the Precious blood books too.

I'm kinda of a Benedictine spirituality--the liturgy is very central to me and it shapes the rest of the week, I do some lectio divina and Eucharistic adoration whenever possible. I've always admired monks, even before coming back to the Church, and St. Benedict. I even contemplated the religious life, but I'm not cut for it.

Lately, due to some influence of some friends, I've been drawn also to some opus dei kinda of thing. I like how it supposedly finds sanctification in the mundane world (which I guess has a St. Benedict hint to it). But I haven't really looked into it. I must admit, though, their outlook is a bit too much for me (I mean, lawyers and stuff).

I also pray the rosary. I'm very inclined to pride, and at the end of the day the rosary grounds me more, and upon it that I can be more childlike--I prepare for Mass with it (among other things), so it kinda ties back to the first paragraph.

But I feel like I haven't find a complete, proper devotional life. Might keep my eyes open.
I am not sure where I truly lay, for I can be all over the place. Marian-wise, I like Our Lady of Perpetual Help and Our Lady of Fatima, with my eyes gazing towards either during the times I pray the Rosary at home, though I also have a fondness towards Our Lady of Good Success. For Our Lord, I am fond of the Sacred Heart, combining it with devotion to His Holy Face, Precious Blood, and Holy Wounds. For financial matters, I've started doing a monthly novena to the Infant Jesus of Prague from 17-25 of each month. Then there is St. Joseph, St. Michael, St. Philomena, and St. Benedict as the other Saints I like to go to often.

Because of my consecration to Mary according to the St. Louis de Montfort method, I also like to earn indulgences for Our Lady to take and use as she wills. I've also recently started on the First Fridays/Saturdays, not for the promises as the main reason, but for the love of the Sacred Heart of Jesus and in reparation for the offenses and sins against the Immaculate Heart of Mary.

As a member of the Universal Living Rosary Association, I also pray an assigned decade of the Rosary each day, mine being the Assumption, for the two main intentions of the Triumph of the Immaculate Heart of Mary and in honor of St. Philomena. All association members pray their decades for these two intentions.

I wish there was some way I could figure out which charism or spirituality best fits me. I was thinking before Carmelite, Benedictine, or Redemptorist, but I don't even know how their spiritualities work.
When it comes to the various "schools" of spirituality, I find myself most interested in the Carmelite path. I love the Carmelite saints and I'm interested in reading their literature, especially Saint Teresa of Avila's. I've read Saint Therese of Lisieux's autobiography, along with a book written by Saint Teresa of the Andes.

When it comes to devotions, the image I have in my room is of Christ, the Saviour of the World. I have a fondness for the Sacred Heart and also the Eucharistic Lord, because learning about Eucharistic miracles was something so transcendent in my life. I say the Rosary, occasionally the Chaplet of Divine Mercy, and my mom made me a Chaplet of the Precious Blood, which I really need to begin praying.
I'm not really sure how to describe my personal spirituality or devotions, because my prayer life is rather sporadic.

I guess for Marian devotions I am big on praying the Rosary. I pray the Rosary at least once daily. I also make (or try to make, at least) "quality" rosaries as a hobby but I also am starting a "missionary rosary ministry" in which I'm hoping to give out Catholic materials to random strangers.

As far as Eastern devotions go, I started to pray the Kathismata of the Byzantine Psalter and use my Publicans Prayer Book with the Psalter (published by Holy Transfiguration Monastery).

I can't say I'm attracted to any specific spirituality but I have taken interest in the Norbertine sisters (in Tehachapi, CA), Benedictines (I felt a strong affinity when I read the "Rule of St. Benedict;" I even talked to my priest about inquiring into the Benedictine oblates), Transalpine Redemptorists, Daughters of Mary, Mothers of Israel's Hope,the Byzantine Catholic monks of Holy Resurrection Monastery, and the Sisters of the Order of St. Basil the Great.