Salvation in the "Dark Ages"
(10-26-2015, 06:55 PM)Gwaredd Thomas Wrote:
(10-26-2015, 01:38 PM)PrairieMom Wrote: The Faith, in some respects, is a living, breathing organism. The truths she teaches are immemorial, but the practices evolve in time. Things like the rosary were introduced at a moment in time when we *needed* it, collectively, as a Church.

As for the statue thing, the statue is representative of someone, such as a photo, right? Have you never put photos in a casket? Burned photos of someone you've been scorned by? The image is powerful, and serves as a proxy... I agree the waving a white flag thing to be a bit odd, but it's symbolic.

Well, a Canadian. How's the PC doing in the great wilderness? Not too well from what I read. As for the statues I get it and always have; I was referring to Protestants. Anyway, I've been around Tradition for over 20 years so I believe I have a fairly good grasp of things Catholic. Nevertheless, I'm just not a Rosary person. My preference is for the Breviary. I also belong to the Living Rosary Association whereby I pray my Dedicated Decade every day; that is the best I can do. And I'm not a procession person. People probably think I'm some sort of heathen but that's just the way things are. I think most Traditional Catholics have their own set of devotions of which they are especially fond. I've always been a person who goes my own way. This is not to imply that I abide by the old canard of "do whatever you want when you want." No, no, no. I'm just a slugger trying to get along with my Faith as best I can given that the present state of the Church in it's human element which is going to hell in a hand-basket.

Cymru am byth!

Aside from the Mass the most important prayer of the Church is the Divine Office, so if you pray the breviary you are already deeply entering into the prayer of the Church. I too prefer the breviary to the rosary, but to each his own I guess. The rosary is a beautiful, rich devotion but it's not necessary for salvation. The beauty of the Church  is that there is something for everyone.

I'm in love with the full traditional Benedictine breviary, and I love Gregorian chant and the saints of the dark ages through the 12th century, especially the Cistercians like St Bernard, but aside from all that I'm basically more Slavic in my approach, my theological interests and my piety. I too do my own thing somewhat. Just try and find a niche where you can deepen your own relationship with our Lord and rejoice that the Church has something for everyone.
I think the custom of waving white flags as a statue passes by is tame. I see no error in that. It is the same as the time Ferdinand VII sent his portrait to the Philippines and be treated as his representative. There is nothing wrong, for we are simply paying homage by waving white flags to the image which symbolically represents Our Lady. In short, we are paying respect and homage to Our Lady, and that statue is simply a representative.

Now, why did I say that it is a tame practice? Since in our country there is a custom of actually singing a hymn of farewell to Our Lady as represented by the statue of Our Lady of the Rosary of La Naval.

It goes like this:

Adios, reina del cielo
¡Madre, madre del Salvador!
¡Adios, adios!

Adios, dulce prenda adorada
Dulce prenda adorada de min sincero amor (¡adios)
Adios reina del cielo ¡Adios, adios!
Madre del Salvador (¡Madre del Salvador!)

De tu divino rostro
La belleza al dejar
Permiteme que vuelva tus plantas a besar
He quedado Maria, abrasando en tu amor
Quedate adios Señora, ¡Adios, Adios!

Da me tu bendición (da me tu bendición)
Madre del salvador (madre del salvador)
Madre Amorosa, prenda de amor
¡Adios, adios!

The Rosary is the little sister of the Breviary, both having the Psalter as their mother.  The Psalter of course goes back well before the Incarnation. 

The faithful who were unable to pray the Psalter would instead pray 150 Paters or Aves, the latter of which developed into the Rosary we have today. The Breviary is of course a liturgy arranged around the Psalter.

From what I can tell, Our Lady did not give St. Dominic the Angelic or Marian Psalter as something new, but rather encouraged its spread (St. Louis de Montfort frames the legend that way, for example) or maybe showed him a specific method of praying it (there have been various methods over time).  When Our Lady appeared to Bl. Alan de Rupe, she again encouraged the spread of the Angelic Psalter "according to the method taught to blessed Dominic," but the method promoted by Bl. Alan is different than the one we have today and, in fact, Bl. Alan strongly objected to breaking it up in to 5 daily decades and even to calling it "Rosary" instead of the Marian or Angelic Psalter. 

My point is, while the devotions have certainly changed over time and not everyone was always praying the exact same thing, these things all share the same roots and draw life from the same source that stretches from the present to before the Word was made flesh.

After giving it some more thought and from the generous comments of you good people I've decided to try and pray the Rosary with my wife. We should be praying together as a family anyway and I guess the Rosary is the best method in which to do this. It will be difficult because my concentration isn't worth a  Censored . God knows I need to make some sacrifices since I don't do much in that area anyway except for Lent. So, here we go...

Dduw bendithia chi,

Gwaredd
Even if you can't concentrate on the mysteries, try to think other pious thoughts. If that fails, still don't worry, the Lord knows your weaknesses... The effort and desire to please Him has great significance.
Remember that current or medieval devotional while well known and enjoyed by millions, the early Middle Ages presumably had many other devotions that would be similar to the Rosary and other, but fell out of use as situations and tastes and practical considerations are taken into account.  For instance, in the 4th century some 200,000 Roman citizens (some 5%-10% of the Empire's population) fled into the desert to be hermits why because the hermits were the rock stars to be emulated at the time.  Clearly, we don't have many people fleeing in the desert these days.  When we think monasteries, we think of Benedictines, yet the diversity of monastic rules in the early Middle Ages abound.  With some even having a 24 hour cycle.  Needless to say, many practices no noble in intent, faded.