That Hot Dog... yeah, that'll give you cancer
Quote:On Monday, the International Agency for Research on Cancer, which is part of WHO, announced that it had put processed meat such as ham, bacon and hot dogs on its Group 1 list, which also includes tobacco and asbestos.

from http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/cancer-r...-1.3289580

It's interesting that they are always quick to list tobacco and asbestos as group 1 carcinogens, both of which are more or less socially unacceptable these days, but they omit that other group 1 item that is ubiquitous as sex itself - the birth control pill!

It's funny how they always seem to forget to mention that one.

The irony is rich, isn't it.  Don't eat bacon or ham, but please do contracept. 
I just love the food police movement!  They're just so cuddly and warm.... :eyeroll: :LOL:

By the way, "Eat right [whatever *that* means!], exercise, die anyway."  Just sayin'.... :)
Well, I try to more or less eat right (and I hardly take it to mean what the modern food policy mean) and I exercise not because I think this will give more years of life, but because of the sort of person I want to be right now. I mean, its basically the difference between the modern approach of a utilitarian and medicinal way of life to one based on virtue and the striving for excellency.

But regarding these thing of everything giving you cancer: its getting silly.
(10-27-2015, 03:30 PM)J Michael Wrote: I just love the food police movement!  They're just so cuddly and warm.... :eyeroll: :LOL:

By the way, "Eat right [whatever *that* means!], exercise, die anyway."  Just sayin'.... :)

Right...

What is the point of dying 'healthy'?

One should grow old using up the old bod, so when you hit the grave the chassis is all used up and ready for it!
I think it all probably has more to do with genes. I always look at the story of Jack Lalanne one of the original fitness gurus who ate right and stayed fit his whole life. He had a brother who loved pork, smoked, drank, and his only exercise was a round of golf but he lived a year longer than his brother Jack.

C.
(10-27-2015, 03:53 PM)Renatus Frater Wrote: Well, I try to more or less eat right (and I hardly take it to mean what the modern food policy mean) and I exercise not because I think this will give more years of life, but because of the sort of person I want to be right now. I mean, its basically the difference between the modern approach of a utilitarian and medicinal way of life to one based on virtue and the striving for excellency.

But regarding these thing of everything giving you cancer: its getting silly.

That, my friend, is exactly my point!
(10-27-2015, 05:20 PM)Zedta Wrote:
(10-27-2015, 03:30 PM)J Michael Wrote: I just love the food police movement!  They're just so cuddly and warm.... :eyeroll: :LOL:

Right...

What is the point of dying 'healthy'?

One should grow old using up the old bod, so when you hit the grave the chassis is all used up and ready for it!

Nobody dies "healthy" if you get right down to it.  But the point I'm trying to make, beyond what I replied to RF, is that the obsessions with "health" or "fitness" or eating "right" (however whomever defines what "right" is at any given moment, always subject to change and retraction, etc.) is in itself a kind of sickness and none of that will make you any holier or a "better" person and none of it will *necessarily* grant you more years than God's going to give you anyway. 

Besides, none of us know when we'll "hit the grave" and it could very well be at the time of our life that we are at our "fittest" or "healthiest".  On the other hand, it could be well past what many consider to be our "sell by" date and whatever fitness or "health" we may have had has long since disappeared.

So...you know...moderation in everything....including moderation. :)
(10-27-2015, 06:20 PM)Cetil Wrote: I think it all probably has more to do with genes. I always look at the story of Jack Lalanne one of the original fitness gurus who ate right and stayed fit his whole life. He had a brother who loved pork, smoked, drank, and his only exercise was a round of golf but he lived a year longer than his brother Jack.

C.

My grandmother is like that. She drinks gin, smokes, eats bacon, never wears sunglasses or sunscreen (although she does wear a hat when working outside), and has outlived any of my other grandparents by a decade so far. She's had a minor stroke about 5 years ago, but she actually has better cognitive function since the stroke because we discovered she has a non-cancerous brain tumor, which has probably been there for decades (there was just never a reason to CT her head before that point). The blood thinners she takes to prevent another stroke helps the blood flow more easily around the tumor. So really, her stroke has added years of independence to her life.

Genetics and health are very quirky.
But they plump when you cook 'em.  :cheers: :pretzel: :salt: :eats: