Demonic Obsession? How do you know?
I have not posted here in a long time. I'm not sure where else to go to ask this question.

Over the past year, my family has had very bad luck, mainly with regard to health, but also other things as well. It started with me miscarrying our 3rd child (we have two living children) on November 15th of last year.  What followed: a minor car accident, the flu, a bad stomach bug during my sister in law's wedding, the death of my husband's uncle from brain cancer, a hailstorm passing through our very specific part of town which totaled our roof, a trip to the ER for me for a sudden onset of severe vision issues, a minor flood in our home, my son being diagnosed as being highly susceptible to seizures (abnormal brain activity seen during a sleep study), another minor flood in our home, a hospital stay for me for viral meningitis, during which time a neurologist on staff said he suspected I have MS, my husband being admitted to the Hospital for a partial bowel blockage, several stressful medical tests for me (trying to see if I have MS) the latest of which led to another hospitalization due to complications from a lumbar puncture, my daughter being diagnosed with anxiety at age 6, and probably other stuff I've forgotten...we have been sick a lot. I think our record of no one being sick is maybe 2-3 weeks at a time for the whole year. I feel as if stuff I largely have no control over is beating us down. As far as I am aware we don't have any lingering sin in our lives. My husband and I go to confession at least once a month. We attend mass as long as someone isn't sick (and sometimes even then, my daughter's religious education attendance policy is very strict). I feel like this level of bad luck is starting to get weird. Is demonic activity a possibility? Any help is greatly appreciated.
Demonic activity could be a possibility. How do you know? When a blessing gets a reaction and actually works. To make a long story short my woman had a traumatic experience when she was younger in the Phillipines that somehow led to horrible,evil and all consuming nightmares for decades. She'd have the same or similar dreams literally Everytime she so much as took a nap, everything from getting violently raped, evil black mists choking her in her sleep and horrible dreams of being eaten alive by demons. This happened until finally I got her on Auxilium Christianorum for awhile but even that didn't last. It would get better for a day or two than come back.

Finally I took her to an FSSP priest and told her to be frank with him about what was going on. This priest blessed her in the chapel after Mass. It was like something out of the exorcist--- an empty chapel, thunder and lightening raging outside and a priest vested and in his purple stole mumbling Latin with his eyes closed and his hands on her head. Upon heading to the parking lot after the blessing she started to get violently agitated and ill, complaining of " something evil in her throat", like a heaviness in her trying to leave. She fell on her knees and vomited in the parking lot by the car while I stood there above her praying a divine mercy Chaplet with this cheap little Fatima Center rosary I had till it subsided. Soon thereafter she felt better, at peace, and to this day the nightmares have almost completely disappeared. No more does she have to fear sleeping. It's powerful.

The thing is, she wasn't posessed, but there was something that had a grip on her over the years. It was probably some sort of obsession.

I'd advise you to discuss your troubles with a good priest that understands and is open to the possibility of demonic influence, and keep praying,praying, praying.  If your luck suddenly just gets better after a blessing as drastically as I saw happen with the dear woman in my life, than it was probably demonic. Prayers for you and yours!
Thank you formerbuddhist for your reply. It is funny you mention nightmares. I just this week started to seriously suspect that some demonic force could be contributing to our bad luck (we had previously made jokes about needing an exorcist, but we weren't serious until recently). This week I had bad dreams for three nights in a row. Not about demons, but disturbing dreams about my children, my grandparents getting gravely ill, a dog biting my son,etc. Then, I prayed a full rosary in one sitting, something I rarely have time for, for a friend who really needed prayer. No more bad dreams after that.

I can ask our priests but I know for sure one of them will scoff at me. I'll have to make an appointment with the Monsignor. I hope he doesn't think I'm crazy.

(11-09-2015, 09:33 AM)alicewyf Wrote: Thank you formerbuddhist for your reply. It is funny you mention nightmares. I just this week started to seriously suspect that some demonic force could be contributing to our bad luck (we had previously made jokes about needing an exorcist, but we weren't serious until recently). This week I had bad dreams for three nights in a row. Not about demons, but disturbing dreams about my children, my grandparents getting gravely ill, a dog biting my son,etc. Then, I prayed a full rosary in one sitting, something I rarely have time for, for a friend who really needed prayer. No more bad dreams after that.

I can ask our priests but I know for sure one of them will scoff at me. I'll have to make an appointment with the Monsignor. I hope he doesn't think I'm crazy.

I would suggest finding a FSSP priests or a very orthodox one. I doubt they will scoff at you, unless they are particularly modern. Regardless, I'm sure they will still give you a blessing. Don't let the fear of priests being mean keep you from seeking peace. That's what they are there for, to guide our souls.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If this is diabolical it would be oppression, I believe.
I don't know if this is relevant, and in any case don't take my word for it, but recently I've been having some strong emotional response to a certain object, either in thought or in reality. And this was insane, and I knew it, because it was disproportional and hardly of my concern. I remember Fr. Ripperger said this sort of thing could be diabolical. So I mentioned in passing on confession, even though it was involuntary, and it did diminished. I don't know if this was diabolical or just the effects of the sacrament helping me against temptation, but there you have it.
One effect of demonic encounters is a noticeable distaste for prayer and things that are holy after the encounter. 
Bad thoughts and dreams (check)
Bad happenings and events (check)
An occasional distaste for prayers (check)

Folks, I think I am having demonic obsession too...
(11-10-2015, 06:35 AM)Neopelagianus Wrote: Bad thoughts and dreams (check)

Ditto. :afraidsmiley:

Well, St. Maximus clearly thought that bad thoughts could have demonic origins (even though it might not constitute obsession), as well as laziness in prayer (you know, the noonday devil)—not only him, but the whole monastic tradition up to that time (and beyond, I'd suspect).
But I suppose we know better now, right? After all, we're all good, modern gentleman now.
(11-10-2015, 09:28 AM)Renatus Frater Wrote:

Well, St. Maximus clearly thought that bad thoughts could have demonic origins (even though it might not constitute obsession), as well as laziness in prayer (you know, the noonday devil)—not only him, but the whole monastic tradition up to that time (and beyond, I'd suspect).
But I suppose we know better now, right? After all, we're all good, modern gentleman now.

Well, I am not that lazy in prayers at all, in fact, if I were fine I always would have the urge of praying Matins, Lauds, Prime and Terce in one swoop and chanted in recto tono.

I find it weird that I could not do that anymore, but of course as they say, try and try again. Perhaps I'll try doing that again.