How much can you bench press?
I confess I was just trying to come up with a catchy title, but how many of you are like me and join a gym but never go?

I think that I have come up with the solution now -- at least for building strength.  I am now trying little "mini" workouts.  Fifteen minutes a time, three times a week.  When I don't feel like going I remind myself that I am only going for fifteen minutes. 

On Wednesday I do lateral raises (side, front, back), two sets of shoulder presses, one set of machine incline presses, and one high rep set of bench presses (twenty).

On Friday I do pullups, machine rows, cable rows, barbell bent rows (twenty), and one set of deadlifts.

On Saturday I do leg presses, squats, and calf raises.

When my son gets a little older I will start taking him ice skating and do that for cardio.
I have recently taken out a gym membership and have started lifting. Though I intend to change this routine, I have been doing the incredibly easy but effective 3 x 3 workout. The lifts: bench presses, dead lifts, and squats. Each workout consists of only two of the three; however, you will do squats every workout. As the name indicates, you lift in sets of three, three reps for each set, three times a week. The goal here is not to lift to exhaustion, but to lift as heavily as you safely can. The lifts are compounds lifts, so despite its simplicity, you will workout all your major muscles. I find that this workout takes anywhere between 20 to 30 minutes for me, stretching included, but I tend to rest longer than I perhaps should between sets. 

Sample workout:
Monday: squats 3 x 3; dead lifts 3 x 3
Wednesday: squats 3 x 3; bench presses 3 x 3
Friday: squats 3 x 3; dead lifts 3 x 3

I intend to transition to the 5 x 5 routine tonight.
I don't know the names of the exercises in English, but its basically divided into two sets which I alternate between days (and I go 4 or 5 times a week), which basically works every area (except the neck) in a series of three times fifteen lifts (and on some of them I increase the weight). Plus fifteen to twenty minutes in the treadmill.
Sometimes I cheat, though. Some exercises I'm working with the same weight for a long time, need to increase—but its so painful (especially lateral raises).
Lateral raises are an exercise that I found almost impossible to increase the weight on too.  I finally got some little magnetic add on weights and was able to increase more gradually. 

It was actually strengthening up my shoulders that got me back in the gym.  I hurt my shoulder at work, and rather than getting surgery I tried to gradually strengthen it up.  I succeeded and now my shoulders are great. 

And I am motivated by an injury again.  I broke my right leg three years ago, and while the surgeon did a great job fixing it, my right leg is much weaker than my left and it is causing real problems with my lower back.  So I will do leg presses with each leg separately and squats with both legs.

I like the short workouts because I would rather spend my free time with my family than in the gym.
In my first year of uni I went to the gym consistently for 8 months 4 days a week. I got up to
bench: 205x5
squat: 250x5
deadlift: 335x5

But then I went on summer vacation and didn't lift. I continued the same cycle for the other 3 years of uni, get back up there and then went on vacation. Since uni I've only been going a few times a month. I keep saying I need to get back into it but I haven't been successful so far. That beer gut can't be too far off if I don't smarten up :grin:
(11-19-2015, 06:45 PM)Estevao Wrote: In my first year of uni I went to the gym consistently for 8 months 4 days a week. I got up to
bench: 205x5
squat: 250x5
deadlift: 335x5

But then I went on summer vacation and didn't lift. I continued the same cycle for the other 3 years of uni, get back up there and then went on vacation. Since uni I've only been going a few times a month. I keep saying I need to get back into it but I haven't been successful so far. That beer gut can't be too far off if I don't smarten up :grin:

That's pretty amazing progress for only 8 months of training.  I am also a fairly "easy" gainer, but I never made that fast of gains.  Maybe you got bored? My brother trained with me for almost 5 years before getting up to 225 for five reps.  It took me several years too.  After about ten years of training, off and on, I got up to 315 for 5, and a best of 365.

But the problem is staying motivated.  I have been training, off and on now for about 30 years -- and I am not bench pressing so much now -- but I am tempted to go for it again.

I wonder how strong you could get if you trained for 2 or 3 years straight.