The Paschal Mystery
(11-16-2015, 07:59 PM)Clare Brigid Wrote: I honestly cannot understand the Orthodox polemics on this issue, because they ignore the Pauline epistles.

I suspect that is a fairly recent polemic. There seems to be a vested interest in recent times, no earlier than the second half of the 19th century, on the part of some Orthodox controversialists to maximize every difference with Rome. I don't really think the Orthodox polemicized this difference in the past. A lot of the "maximizing of differences" in recent years seems particularly connected with the anti-ecumenical strains of Orthodoxy. There are enough actual differences that I don't understand the need to make up more.
(11-16-2015, 01:40 PM)Dominicus Wrote: I look at the Triduum as one continuous event not three separate holidays.[...]The ressurection is simply the completion and culmination, not the main event.

That's how I perceive it too.

"Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up."

Cause and effect, a process from A to B. One is the point of departure, the other the destination.
Many modern Orthodox writers are either academics, barely converted Protestants who throw the baby out with the bath water or they get their theology from academics. If you never pray the Divine services you'll never get a good idea on what the Eastern ( or Western Church) believes about the Cross and its relation to the resurrection. The Scriptures and the Divine Services will teach you more than Valdimir Lossky, Alexander Schemann, Kallistos Ware, or any of the other modern academic Orthodox usual suspects ever will.
(11-16-2015, 07:59 PM)Clare Brigid Wrote: Both/and, fishfolk. The passion, cross, resurrection and ascension are to be viewed together.

We are catholic.  Kata  holou -- according to the whole.

This tendency to reduce and select is not good. It serves to "dissolve Christ," according to 1 John.

I honestly cannot understand the Orthodox polemics on this issue, because they ignore the Pauline epistles.

"For I judged not myself to know anything among you, but Jesus Christ, and him crucified. " 1 Corinthians 2:2

As usual, you make a very good, well thought out point, Clare. When it comes down to it, the Orthodox are just gussied up protestants with a few extra sacraments thrown in.
(11-17-2015, 11:13 PM)Dominicus Wrote: When it comes down to it, the Orthodox are just gussied up protestants with a few extra sacraments thrown in.

That is about as accurate as the Orthodox saying the Roman Catholics are the first Protestants. Completely different situation.