Ever hear the claim that the great persecutions never happened?
I did, I was taught it in college. The book that started the idea seemed to be polemical.
Candida Moss, Professor of New Testament and Early Christianity at Notre Dame (!), is a major proponent of this idea, in both scholarly publishing and the popular press.
(11-16-2015, 03:59 AM)Cyriacus Wrote: Candida Moss, Professor of New Testament and Early Christianity at Notre Dame (!), is a major proponent of this idea, in both scholarly publishing and the popular press.

What a shame to make money off the Church and then to deny the great persecutions which gave her so many saints.
I've never heard of anyone rejecting that they ever happened, I have heard people make light of them saying that the early christians over dramatised them.

Of course I was raised protestant and they don't believe anything happened from Acts till Luther appeared except to say how horrible everything was in between. No one even mentioned christian history between those times.
(11-16-2015, 01:35 PM)Dominicus Wrote: I've never heard of anyone rejecting that they ever happened, I have heard people make light of them saying that the early christians over dramatised them.

That's just it, this school claims that the claim that they never happened and that they're exaggerated mean the same thing and vice versa.
(11-16-2015, 03:07 PM)randomtradguy Wrote: That's just it, this school claims that the claim that they never happened and that they're exaggerated mean the same thing and vice versa.

Yes I suppose thats true. I never learned much about them, just that Christians would use the catacombs to worship and whatnot, and it was ended when Constantine issued the edict of Milan.
I feel like the bigger question isn't, "Did the great persecutions never happen," but, "Did they ever stop happening?"
There was a book out recently where the author claimed martyrdom was blown out of proportions and that the great persecutions were overblown as well. Remember, with Christianity there is not a single doctrine, dogma, hagiography or history that is not put under a microscope and derided by someone. Literally everything about our faith  has had someone attempt to tear it apart with scholarly erudition.
Yes, and Jesus married Mary Magdalene--who, by the way, was an apostle--and had a bunch of sons who now live in France.

Also, Jesus didn't exist (plot twist!). He's like, this idea, man. But people were so greedy and invented the Church to regulate sex and stuff.
(11-16-2015, 06:39 PM)Renatus Frater Wrote: He's like, this idea, man.

Bro, it's like......the Christ Consciousness, maaaaan.....it's an energetic vibration, duuuuude.

:LOL: