Funny? Sad?
My pastor spent a few days at a monastery on retreat last week and was talking to one of the priest-monks about why Churches aren't ever named after the Father - you see Christ the King, Holy Spirit, Transfiguration, Epiphany, etc. - and the priest-monk said "I suppose it's so people don't mistakenly think we're monotheists."  :O He wasn't making a joke. My pastor said this man had been ordained for 40 years.

Lord, have mercy.
I'm sure he meant unitarian and just got the terms mixed up.
Or he could have meant Monophysites.

In a sense, any church named after the Holy Trinity includes the Father.
Actually, I was thinking of Sabellianism or Patripassionsim or Monarchianism or Modalism. Or something

So, I vote for "funny,' with a dash of "confusing." 
He probably just got the vocabulary mixed up, it is a dificult thing to express in words.
I could forgive him for this faux pas, as theology is an extremely difficult subject. Most of us pray and know the basics but if asked to explain the Hypostatic Union, the Trinity or some other extrenely obtuse academic theological topic we'd be tongue tied. I know I would.
Now, here's an interesting question: what if instead of Eastern monk it was pope Francis who committed this "faux pas"?

I bet we would see some different--and rather apocalyptic--answers  :grin:
Funny how our priorities work, eh. More charitable assumptions for the old monk than for the pope.  :LOL:
(11-18-2015, 05:27 PM)Renatus Frater Wrote: Now, here's an interesting question: what if instead of Eastern monk it was pope Francis who committed this "faux pas"?

Funny how our priorities work, eh. More charitable assumptions for the old monk than for the pope.  :LOL:

This man was a priest talking in private to a parishoner, not the Pope. There's a world of difference. The Pope is in a position of greater visibility and authority than a parish priest or a simple monk.
(11-18-2015, 05:34 PM)formerbuddhist Wrote:
(11-18-2015, 05:27 PM)Renatus Frater Wrote: Now, here's an interesting question: what if instead of Eastern monk it was pope Francis who committed this "faux pas"?

This man was a priest talking in private to a parishoner, not the Pope. There's a world of difference.

I knew it!  :LOL:
(11-18-2015, 05:35 PM)Renatus Frater Wrote:
(11-18-2015, 05:34 PM)formerbuddhist Wrote:

This man was a priest talking in private to a parishoner, not the Pope. There's a world of difference.

I knew it!  :LOL:

So you don't think there ought to be a difference?