Slightly Altered Absolution Formula
Maybe I'm just overthinking this...

Went to confession yesterday and when the priest was giving absolution he changed the formula slightly by saying "In his name, I absolve you of your sins," etc.

Now the issue I have is that the priest, when granting absolution does so as Christ. In that sense, the priest saying the words and absolving the sins is Christ, not the priest. Hence the priest acting in persona Christi. So when the priest is saying "In his name" he is acting as if he, as the priest, is absolving the sins in Christ's name rather than as Christ. As we know, no one but God can absolve sins, that's why the priest only does so in persona Christi.

So is this valid or invalid?
He said "I absolve you" and that's the form.  It doesn't seem like he added the first clause in order to not absolve you, so I wouldn't worry about it.

Also, this is actually similar to the older rite:

May our Lord Jesus Christ absolve you, and by his authority I do absolve you from every bond of excommunication, suspension, and interdict, to the extent of my power and your need. Finally, I absolve you from your sins, in the name of the Father, and of the Son +, and of the Holy Ghost. Amen.
(12-03-2015, 05:31 PM)SaintSebastian Wrote: He said "I absolve you" and that's the form.  It doesn't seem like he added the first clause in order to not absolve you, so I wouldn't worry about it.

Also, this is actually similar to the older rite:

May our Lord Jesus Christ absolve you, and by his authority I do absolve you from every bond of excommunication, suspension, and interdict, to the extent of my power and your need. Finally, I absolve you from your sins, in the name of the Father, and of the Son +, and of the Holy Ghost. Amen.

Yes, I have priests say only that bit to me, some because they didn't seem to care others because Mass was about to start.

The sad thing, though, is that I found out there are an alarming quantity of priests who will fail to say even that tiny bit.

Yesterday I went to what I suspect was my close to last NOM. The priest couldn't even leave the microphone (which he didn't need anyway) to elevate the consecrated host, and then he seemed to just throw the host back into the thingy. Really, what happens to priests to treat the sacred with so much disrespect?
I recommend that you be sorry for your sins and trust in God's mercy and God will take care of you when you go to confession.