married clergy
Is it feasible for Roman Catholicism to allow men already married to be priests?  the Eastern Catholics and Orthodox do it, why not us?  thoughts?
It is *possible,* but it is not the Latin tradition. That is sufficient for me. Some go too far in defending the Latin practice by attacking the Eastern; that is not necessary. Let West be West and East be East. Ordaining married men to the priesthood will not solve any of the problems with priestly shortages; it might provide a short-term bump, but it will be short-lived and does not address the root causes of the shortage. This is also possibly the worst period in history for the Church to change her discipline on this matter. Latin dioceses are not practically prepared for married priests - are they going to suddenly pay them enough to support families? Eastern priests, especially outside of their traditional homelands, very often have secular jobs to support their families. The Western tradition frowns on priests having secular jobs apart from things like teaching; that attitude is unlikely to change any time soon.
(12-10-2015, 11:19 AM)a83192 Wrote: Is it feasible for Roman Catholicism to allow men already married to be priests?  the Eastern Catholics and Orthodox do it, why not us?  thoughts?

Because I am celibate, I am free to be whatever anyone needs me to be without exclusivity whenever God happens to place them in my life.  Celibacy lived for the sake of the Kingdom is fruitful- I have seen the fruits of my own celibacy.  I love celibacy.  I love the celibate priesthood.  It is a beautiful vocation beyond description, and I resent it being trashed like it's just a useless holdover from the middle ages.  No, it's not just a "useless holdover from the middle ages," it is a beautiful vocation that happens to be mine.  Because I am celibate, I love who God calls me to love, I support who God calls me to support, and I am whatever anyone God places in my life needs me to be at any given time without exclusivity.  I have seen the fruits of that, I am thankful beyond words for my vocation.  An argument made by someone who won't keep from being horizontal with their equal and yet won't bring themselves to kneel before their superior is not worth considering.
Yes there should be both. Some of the first deciples were married and Saint Paul was non married celibat.
I think we need to have two orders, but with the celibats holding the higher and the married the lower.
(12-10-2015, 09:50 PM)Might_4_Right Wrote: Yes there should be both. Some of the first deciples were married and Saint Paul was non married celibat.
I think we need to have two orders, but with the celibats holding the higher and the married the lower.

There's already both. One is called Eastern rite the other Latin rite.

Anyway, there are plenty of theological and practical reasons for celibate priests. It should be a pacific point that celibates should be superior because they leave everything for Christ and St. Paul reaffirms this.

But in the end, who cares. The next synod will probably talk about lady deacons, gay marriage, population control and all the rest. It should be pretty clear to everyone that nothing serious will come out of the Vatican until, at least, the death of Francis.

Renatus Frater Wrote:There's already both. One is called Eastern rite the other Latin rite.

Now your just being obtuse. The OP asked for our thoughts ie our opinon,  on the idea of the Latin rite church allowing married men to enter seminary.

Renatus Frater Wrote:Anyway, there are plenty of theological and practical reasons for celibate priests. It should be a pacific point that celibates should be superior because they leave everything for Christ and St. Paul reaffirms this.

Your just stating the obvious here.

Renatus Frater Wrote:But in the end, who cares. The next synod will probably talk about lady deacons, gay marriage, population control and all the rest. It should be pretty clear to everyone that nothing serious will come out of the Vatican until, at least, the death of Francis.

You're just throwing straw with this.
Almost anything is feasible in the post-ecumenical Church.  :crazy:

Is it truly feasible? No, because it is contrary to our Tradition. Tradition stands above all of us. We receive it lovingly and with piety; we bow to it and carry it to safety to hand on to those after us. It is like Aeneas carrying his father, who holds the statue of the house god. This is a great analogy for our tradition... https://farm1.staticflickr.com/92/274547...4397_o.jpg

Are there exceptions? Yes, but they remain exceptions.
(12-11-2015, 12:27 AM)Might_4_Right Wrote:
Renatus Frater Wrote:There's already both. One is called Eastern rite the other Latin rite.

Now your just being obtuse. The OP asked for our thoughts ie our opinon,  on the idea of the Latin rite church allowing married men to enter seminary.

Renatus Frater Wrote:Anyway, there are plenty of theological and practical reasons for celibate priests. It should be a pacific point that celibates should be superior because they leave everything for Christ and St. Paul reaffirms this.

Your just stating the obvious here.

Renatus Frater Wrote:But in the end, who cares. The next synod will probably talk about lady deacons, gay marriage, population control and all the rest. It should be pretty clear to everyone that nothing serious will come out of the Vatican until, at least, the death of Francis.

You're just throwing straw with this.

I'm sorry, but the only thing obtuse here is your opinion.

I'm not throwing straws. The OP probably asked the question because of the news that this will be the subject of the next Synod. We know for a fact that the Synod on the family had nothing to do with families, so I don't see why this next Synod will be on married priests.
And even if it were, everybody who is not obtuse like yourself already answered: the Roman Church has a tradition and there's no point in changing it unless one has the wicked itch for change like these modernists have. To even discuss the possibility or why it is better it is like placing yourself above tradition, to use the image of rich here above.
Sorry for calling you obtuse twice.
celibacy is a powerful witness to this decadent culture.  I'd hate to jettison it.