A peritus remembers Vatican II
Interesting read from a theologian who attended part of Vatican II

http://www.catholicworldreport.com/Item/...an_ii.aspx

"Then the bishops would start the discussion. The cardinals had the right of precedence, so you would have a few cardinals on each side of the discussion, and some influential archbishops after that. They would set the tone for what was going to happen. So each would comment on the document they were discussing, what he approved and disapproved. Often they were in opposite camps. After the cardinals and archbishops got done, most of the bishops would get up and go to the coffee bar. Bishops continued speaking to the assembly, but few were listening."
(12-11-2015, 04:18 PM)StMichael929 Wrote: Interesting read from a theologian who attended part of Vatican II

http://www.catholicworldreport.com/Item/...an_ii.aspx

"Then the bishops would start the discussion. The cardinals had the right of precedence, so you would have a few cardinals on each side of the discussion, and some influential archbishops after that. They would set the tone for what was going to happen. So each would comment on the document they were discussing, what he approved and disapproved. Often they were in opposite camps. After the cardinals and archbishops got done, most of the bishops would get up and go to the coffee bar. Bishops continued speaking to the assembly, but few were listening."

During my first semester of college, Fr. Dietz was filling in for the pastor at the university parish at which I converted to Catholicism the following Easter. He is a very wise, kind man and a very good and erudite homilist. I was really eager to read everything about the Church when I was in RCIA, and he came upon me sitting in the parish library reading Richard McBrien's Catholicism. I remember him walking up to me and, seeing what I was reading, saying, "You don't need to read that. That won't help you at all." When I asked him what I should read instead, he gave a knowing grin and said, "Almost anything else."  :LOL: Given the state of the RCIA at that particular parish, I credit my conversations with Fr. Dietz to a large degree with keeping me on the path to joining the Church. I lost touch with him when he was sent to a parish in Illinois. I am very happy to see that he is still with us!