Receiving Eucharist while cohabiting/sleeping together in civil marriage
(01-11-2016, 10:45 AM)ermy_law Wrote: Congratulations on your marriage!

Thanks!

(01-11-2016, 07:26 AM)MagisterMusicae Wrote:
(01-11-2016, 02:30 AM)Matt1992 Wrote: I said that we did regularly cuddle (with lots of clothing on) and kiss passionately but those are things even engaged people can do without mortally sinning as far as I know.

Those are things most certainly not permitted to those who are not married.

Passionate kissing by definition is in passionate, that is, or arouses the passions. The only situation when one may willfully and directly arouse the sexual passions is within marriage.

Not to be legalistic and regurgitating what you could find in a moral manual, consider the natural and normal purpose of those acts is intimately tired up with the sexual act.  This is why one does not cuddle or passionately kiss one's mother, sister, father, brother, or other close friends. But sexual intercourse is only licit within marriage. Thus, the acts that naturally lead to it or are tied up with it are only licit in marriage.

Really? We did a lot of kissing for years before we were married. Not anything excessive but it definitely involved passion. I don't think passionate behavior is necessarily a sin outside of marriage, as long as it's not overly sexual. But we're just human and passion and some arousal is unavoidable between a serious couple. We always thought we were in good standing and we received Communion without confessing that behavior so hopefully it wasn't mortally sinful. It seems that my wife and I spent way too much time worrying about what's permitted romantically before marriage (and now we are still struggling with what's permitted after marriage). Dealing with romance and sexuality as a Catholic can be quite difficult.
(01-12-2016, 01:30 AM)Matt1992 Wrote: Dealing with romance and sexuality as a Catholic can be quite difficult.

Yes.  It can.  It is so hard I'd prefer to be a cyborg without emotions.
(01-13-2016, 11:26 AM)Joseph11 Wrote:
(01-12-2016, 01:30 AM)Matt1992 Wrote: Dealing with romance and sexuality as a Catholic can be quite difficult.

Perhaps this is why Jesus and St. Paul recommend the celibate life.
(01-13-2016, 11:45 AM)Papist Wrote:
(01-13-2016, 11:26 AM)Joseph11 Wrote:

Perhaps this is why Jesus and St. Paul recommend the celibate life.

Celibacy is no substitution for being a cyborg.

Celibacy is most effectively practiced by personalities who think more than they feel.

Celibacy was not universally recommended by Christ.

because

Celibacy is not a definitive answer to the human condition.

Love alone is.
Among the metropolitan archbishops receiving the Pallium on Monday during Mass to mark the Solemnity of Sts. Peter and Paul in the Vatican, was the new Archbishop of Chicago, Blase J. Cupich. The grandson of Croatian immigrants to the United States and the son of parents with Croatian heritage, Archbishop Cupich continues to be very proud of his Croatian roots and to nurture the cultural legacy of his forebears, especially as regards the Catholic faith that permeates Croatian identity. Fr. Hrvoje Juko of Vatican Radio's Croatian Service interviewed Archbishop Cupich following the Pallium Mass in St. Peter's.

During the course of their broad-ranging conversation, Archbishop Cupich discussed issues from the laws governing the sale of firearms, to inequality in society, to immigration. Archbishop Cupich also discussed the recent decision of the Supreme Court of the United States, making same-sex marriage legal in all 50 states and every US territory. "I think that it’s important to realize that we’re talking about civil marriage here, and we’re talking about the fact that the Supreme Court considered that there is a constitutional right for people of the same sex to be married," he said.

The new Archbishop of Chicago went on to say, "That has no impact at all on our understanding of marriage, being not only a union between a man and a woman, but also a symbol of Christ and his Church." Asked about the way in which the decision might affect religious liberty in the United States, Archbishop Cupich said, "I think there’s always a need for vigilance whenever there’s a change in society as massive as this one is."

http://en.radiovaticana.va/news/2015/06/...nt/1155037
(01-22-2016, 02:27 AM)Poche Wrote: Among the metropolitan archbishops receiving the Pallium on Monday during Mass to mark the Solemnity of Sts. Peter and Paul in the Vatican, was the new Archbishop of Chicago, Blase J. Cupich. The grandson of Croatian immigrants to the United States and the son of parents with Croatian heritage, Archbishop Cupich continues to be very proud of his Croatian roots and to nurture the cultural legacy of his forebears, especially as regards the Catholic faith that permeates Croatian identity. Fr. Hrvoje Juko of Vatican Radio's Croatian Service interviewed Archbishop Cupich following the Pallium Mass in St. Peter's.

During the course of their broad-ranging conversation, Archbishop Cupich discussed issues from the laws governing the sale of firearms, to inequality in society, to immigration. Archbishop Cupich also discussed the recent decision of the Supreme Court of the United States, making same-sex marriage legal in all 50 states and every US territory. "I think that it’s important to realize that we’re talking about civil marriage here, and we’re talking about the fact that the Supreme Court considered that there is a constitutional right for people of the same sex to be married," he said.

The new Archbishop of Chicago went on to say, "That has no impact at all on our understanding of marriage, being not only a union between a man and a woman, but also a symbol of Christ and his Church." Asked about the way in which the decision might affect religious liberty in the United States, Archbishop Cupich said, "I think there’s always a need for vigilance whenever there’s a change in society as massive as this one is."

This is an important philosophical point.  Hence, it can't possible have come from an American.  I haven't heard anything this sophisticated coming from a modern Latin bishop.  Plenty of Eastern Rite bishops are capable of this level of abstraction and engage in it publicly all the time.  He sounds Russian.

Civil marriage is not a sacrament.
(01-23-2016, 02:40 PM)Joseph11 Wrote:
(01-22-2016, 02:27 AM)Poche Wrote: Among the metropolitan archbishops receiving the Pallium on Monday during Mass to mark the Solemnity of Sts. Peter and Paul in the Vatican, was the new Archbishop of Chicago, Blase J. Cupich. The grandson of Croatian immigrants to the United States and the son of parents with Croatian heritage, Archbishop Cupich continues to be very proud of his Croatian roots and to nurture the cultural legacy of his forebears, especially as regards the Catholic faith that permeates Croatian identity. Fr. Hrvoje Juko of Vatican Radio's Croatian Service interviewed Archbishop Cupich following the Pallium Mass in St. Peter's.

This is an important philosophical point.  Hence, it can't possible have come from an American.  I haven't heard anything this sophisticated coming from a modern Latin bishop.  Plenty of Eastern Rite bishops are capable of this level of abstraction and engage in it publicly all the time.  He sounds Russian.

Cupich is a Yank.

Mgr Cupich is the Archbishop of San Fransisco.
(02-01-2016, 01:25 AM)Poche Wrote:

He is the Abp. of Chicago.

Abp. Salvatore Cordileone is Archbishop of San Francisco.
(02-01-2016, 12:53 PM)richgr Wrote:
(02-01-2016, 01:25 AM)Poche Wrote:

He is the Abp. of Chicago.

Abp. Salvatore Cordileone is Archbishop of San Francisco.

In any event back to the OP living as man and wife (with or without the blessings of the state) without being married in the Catholic is the called living in sin. When you live in sin you are not allowed to receive communion Catholic Church.