Finding a Mass for Christmas
*sigh*

So we're in Winnipeg again for Christmas, and I always find it's a challenge to find a suitable Mass for my family, especially because we're pretty much the only Catholics so we're kinda working around everyone else's "schedule". Plus we're complicated by my kids being young so we've never attempted a midnight Mass with them.

What do y'all do for Mass for Christmas? When and where? and those who travel how are you picking? Is it worth trying for midnight Mass with my kids?

I could just pick the hippy NO church where I grew up near my parents' where we're staying, but I really can't stomach it this year.

Also, I've noticed the SSPX parish in Winnipeg has midnight and dawn Masses, plus 9:30. What's a dawn Mass (other than, obviously, being at dawn)?
I'm at a town with no TLM right now--the priest who prayed it is too old, and the new priest is not ready yet. For safety I'll go to Ukranian Church. I wouldn't dare risking going to NOM. If there were SSPX I'd go there.

By the way, didn't you say you have TLM at Winnipeg?
What is a dawn Mass?  There are three proper Masses for Christmas -- midnight, dawn, and morning.  Each Mass has different readings and prayers depending on the time of day.  Hence, the differentiation as "dawn Mass" that you mentioned.

If I were in your position, I would go to the closest traditional Mass, whether that is the SSPX or some other group.  I wouldn't be afraid to take children to any traditional Mass, especially an SSPX Mass, at any time of day or night.  There'll be plenty of children there.  So I'd just go with whichever Mass seems to best suit your family's ability to make it and be prayerful.
(12-22-2015, 06:13 PM)Renatus Frater Wrote: I'm at a town with no TLM right now--the priest who prayed it is too old, and the new priest is not ready yet. For safety I'll go to Ukranian Church. I wouldn't dare risking going to NOM. If there were SSPX I'd go there.

Interestingly, I am also going to a Ukrainian mission. The Latin Mass in my area will be Christmas afternoon, which is hard to get to since I have to travel on Christmas. The Ukrainian mission is having a midnight liturgy.
PrairieMom, I would go to one of the morning Masses at the SSPX chapel.
(12-22-2015, 06:13 PM)Renatus Frater Wrote: By the way, didn't you say you have TLM at Winnipeg?

We do, the diocese TLM Mass is at midnight across town from where we're staying (about 40 min). There's just the one Latin Mass, that parish also has English NO Masses. 

While I love the idea of a midnight Mass we've never tried it and my kids haven't really been to a TLM (just me & hubby have gone), so I'm not sure I want to make that our first family attempt.

Otherwise the SSPX chapel has midnight, dawn and 9:30 a.m., and is considerably closer to where we're staying. Honestly, the 9:30 SSPX would be my first choice, but I don't think I can convince my other half of that.

(12-22-2015, 06:22 PM)Optatus Cleary Wrote:
(12-22-2015, 06:13 PM)Renatus Frater Wrote: I'm at a town with no TLM right now--the priest who prayed it is too old, and the new priest is not ready yet. For safety I'll go to Ukranian Church. I wouldn't dare risking going to NOM. If there were SSPX I'd go there.

Interestingly, I am also going to a Ukrainian mission. The Latin Mass in my area will be Christmas afternoon, which is hard to get to since I have to travel on Christmas. The Ukrainian mission is having a midnight liturgy.

I keep forgetting about the Ukrainian one. There's a parish near my parents, I will have to look into it.

(12-22-2015, 09:37 PM)PrairieMom Wrote: Honestly, the 9:30 SSPX would be my first choice, but I don't think I can convince my other half of that.

I'm not sure what your husband's issue is, but if it's the juridical status of the SSPX, you might remind your husband of the Holy Father's extension of jurisdiction to hear confessions during the Year of Mercy.  A fortiori, one may receive communion at an SSPX Mass.
(12-22-2015, 09:47 PM)Clare Brigid Wrote:
(12-22-2015, 09:37 PM)PrairieMom Wrote: Honestly, the 9:30 SSPX would be my first choice, but I don't think I can convince my other half of that.

I'm not sure what your husband's issue is, but if it's the juridical status of the SSPX, you might remind your husband of the Holy Father's extension of jurisdiction to hear confessions during the Year of Mercy.  A fortiori, one may receive communion at an SSPX Mass.

He knows, I think it's softening his stance towards them, but I think he still thinks SSPX=schismatic. I personally am very sympathetic to them, and have no issues, but he's still not totally 100% on board with this TLM thing so I need to tread carefully there.
I grew up in a small farming town near Winnipeg, and was actually at the SSPX chapel for Christmas last year!

It's the best option, and I didn't regret it, even though I was still on the fence vis a vis the SSPX last year.

I would recommend going there in the strongest terms.
I always tell the children of the catechism class that when you travel the two very important questions to ask are, "Where is the Catholic Church?" and "What is the mass schedule?"