what would you do?
I'm visiting my non Catholic family on Christmas. They are Orthodox and celebrate Christmas on the 7th. My moms birthday is on Dec 25th. The Latin Mass around here is in another city and if I go I'd be gone from the morning to mid afternoon... And that might be an inconvenience for everyone. What would you do? It looks like going to the Novus Ordo is my only option. I'd love to go to the TLM but I think it would look selfish and uncharitable to be gone for so long on my moms birthday. I would also need a ride to the bus which isn't very close and that would be an annoyance to others on that day.  I wish the TLM was more widespread at times like these!
Doesn't a schismatic Mass fulfill ones obligation of necessary?

Why would you go to a NO mass if they are Orthodox?

I may be missing the point

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If you are practicing Catholicism in an orthodox manner,  going to the NO isn't going to shatter your faith.

Jmo

(12-22-2015, 08:14 PM)DeoDuce Wrote: Doesn't a schismatic Mass fulfill ones obligation of necessary?

Why would you go to a NO mass if they are Orthodox?

I may be missing the point

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No going to an Orthodox church doesn't fulfill the obligation.. Even though they have valid Sacraments, they are not Catholic. For example if you're travelling in an Orthodox country and can't find a Catholic church, the obligation doesn't transfer to an Orthodox church, it just gets dispensed.. That's what I heard at least. SSPX is different cause they are in irregular standing but aren't in some formal schism like the Orthodox. Also I was told by a traditional priest that I should only visit an Orthodox church if I have no choice but to be there (I don't mean about fulfilling an obligation but like if I can't wait outside) and when there I should not participate outwardly. I'd much sooner go to Novus Ordo - Orthodox is more reverent but they're in schism. Finally, I should say that my family isn't going to their church on the 25th and that's not Christmas for them.
(12-22-2015, 09:38 PM)Whitey Wrote: If you are practicing Catholicism in an orthodox manner,  going to the NO isn't going to shatter your faith.

Jmo

I don't mean it like that... I go to Novus Ordo when I can't go to a TLM. Its a valid Mass. I'm just wondering what others who prefer the TLM would do. But when I can't go to the TLM I do attend the English Mass because its a Mass and it fulfills my obligation, and I'm near Jesus in the Blessed Sacrament. I'm sure we all have the same views about things we prefer in the TLM of course, like the reverence.
I'd go to the traditional Mass or pray at home if it is nearly impossible to get to that. I wouldn't go to the Novus Ordo under any circumstances.
(12-22-2015, 10:16 PM)ermy_law Wrote: I'd go to the traditional Mass or pray at home if it its nearly impossible to get to that. I wouldn't go to the Novus Ordo under any circumstances.

I see there are different views here .. I don't think that not having a TLM excuses us from the Sunday / major feast day obligation. If we have no TLM I believe we should still go to a Catholic Mass. Eastern rite Catholic, Novus Ordo..

Staying at home or going to a non Catholic service would not fulfill our obligation and we are bound to it under pain of mortal sin. The NO has the Eucharist and is valid as a Mass, I would go to a Latin Mass if I have a choice, but I wouldn't miss Mass if I don't have a choice, because we need to be obedient to the Church.. :)
You asked what I'd do: I told you.
(12-22-2015, 10:25 PM)ermy_law Wrote: You asked what I'd do: I told you.

Ok, maybe I didnt really consider that there would be such a difference of views. I mean I'm assuming we all agree that the NO is valid and we have to go to Mass to fulfill our obligation if there is a Catholic Mass. That's where I'm coming from..
The only TLM that I have in my area is at 3pm... Not ideal at all. My plan is to just go to a NO. As much as I'd rather avoid NO, I'd rather suffer through it than inconvenience my family on Christmas. It's kind of a selfish thing to do.